Wolfgang deep gloss sealent review

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Calgarydetail, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

So its time for a review, I havent done one here yet so here we go.

Product: wolfgang deep gloss sealent

Size: 16oz

Price: $29.99USD

Price per oz: $1.87usd

Application amount: way less then an oz, did not figure exact amount

Does it come in other sizes: it comes in 64 and 128oz contanors. Both offer a savings compared to buying in lesser sizes

Label: It looks alright, the bottle is black with a red label. It has the logo on it. It does the job, looks alright no complaints.

Smell: It smells really bad, almost like a strong glue. I dont sniff products but could notice this. Its not great but ohh well as long as the product does what it is should do

Directions: The directions on the label where uselss.

" shake well. Surface should be dry,clean and cool. Apply a small amount to a clean polyfoam applicator pad. Rub thoiughly onto surface using circular motions. Always work in small areas at a time. use a microfiber or 100% cotton towel to remove residue" (from bottle)

I had to go online and find out how long i should let it dry. I was kind disapointed that it was not on the label. I bought this bottle over a year ago so maybe someone can tune in and say if they have changed it.

The net told me to 'Wash your vehicle using Wolfgang Auto Bathe or your favorite shampoo. Dry completely.
    For the best results, use a paint cleanser like Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer to remove mild imperfections and wax build-up.
    Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant over the entire vehicle either by hand or with a machine. If applying by hand, use a Cobra Deluxe Orange Microfiber Foam Applicator. If applying by machine, use a blue finessing pad.
    Using a dual action polisher, set the maximum speed to 4.5 and work in overlapping sections until the entire vehicle is covered. Apply a very thin, even coat.
    Once the vehicle is covered, wait 30-45 minutes before buffing. Use the included Cobra Deluxe Jr. Microfiber Towel or a microfiber bonnet on your polisher.
    This product is moisture-sensitive. In order to achieve a hard, durable finish, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant must cure for at least 12 hours before being exposed to moisture. Do not apply sealant before dusk because dew will interfere with the adhesion to the paint. Park your vehicle in a garage or under a shelter while it is curing, if possible. "(autogeek)

How i used: I started by washing the car with optimum no rinse and a chenile wash mit. The car did not need to be clayed as it was just done over a month ago. i did have soe wax on the car so I used the polishbonding agent from duragloss to clean up the paint before hand.

i then applied the WGDGS with an adams polishes microfiber applicator pad.
    I let dry for 30 min. then buffed off with a mf cloth.

I let it cure for 18 or so hours and applied a second coat in the same fashion less the bonding agent.

Ease of application: It was very easy to spread and even easier to buff off. I was suprised at how easly it came off.

Look: This sealent looks good, I do not normaly like sealents bt this one is ok. It makes the paint alittle deaper, not as good as a wax, but still does something. It also leaves a great shine. I noticed that the second coat did a world of difference. It was alot better. i would recomend using more then one coat if you do use this sealent.

Durabilty: i cannot comment, however the website says 6 months. If this is true i dont know, i gees tme will tell.

Value: i would say its worth it. 30 bucks is not alot for a sealent. It looks like it doesa good job, so i would say its worth the money.

Final thoughts: I was pleasnelty surpised at the ease of use of WGDS, it was easy to use, did a good job. I hate to say it but I actully liked it :D. I have a couple details to d othis week for a customer, i think i mightuse this sealent so it will last for most of the winter.

Well there it is.
    Any comments or questions? good or bad, i really want to hear your take.

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

How do you like it compared to Jetseal?

3. Calgarydetail

I have not used jetseal so I cannot comment, however i know Nica has used both, hopefuly he will chime in soon.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Nice review there Calgary, well done.

As for which is better between Wolfgang and Jetseal 109, the thing is that I've only used Jetseal once on a fire truck and I have to admit it has a very nice gloss to it. Compared to the Wolfgang, I find that the Wolfgang gives some nice depth for being a sealant. I've done a few vehicles now with Wolfgang but only one with Jetseal for now I personaly favour Wolfgang....but that's just my opinion.

I know pirex and Dan have used Jetseal 109 on various vehicles I'd like to hear there thoughts on Jetseal.

5. D&D Auto Detailing

I used WG on two cars and wasnt really impressed either time. Both had flake, and I felt WG muted the flakes both times. Both cars really didnt have any depth to them. I feel that JS does a good job of popping flakes and is the closer to giving a Carnauba look. It also cures a lot faster and is just as easy, if not easier, to remove then WG.

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I prefer the Wolfgang sealant.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh one thing I should have mentioned was that every time I use Wolfgang I always use the Wolgang Glaze and then I put the sealant, the Glaze adds some depth.

8. richy

richy Guest

Calgary..Nice write-up, man. You could have been able to re-apply the 2nd coat quickly after using the 601. I spoke with Jerry at DG and he told me you could follow up with a coat of AW or a 2nd of 105 right away if you use the 601. That's exactly why I use it, b/c I want to be able to put both on a customer's car and usually don't have the time to wait. How does the Wg compare to DG 105? The more I use 105, the more I like it!

9. Calgarydetail

so what your saying is that if I use the 601 I dont have to wait the 12hours cure time?.

i wasnt using duragloss so i would stil have waited but now im curious, does the pba help with cure time? or do I still need to wait 12 hours?

I am supposted to detail 2 cars this weekend, i may have to give this 2 coat thing a shot. Thanks for the info

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

You dont want ME in this convo...
    HAHA

11. Calgarydetail

cumon , let it out

12. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Jetseal, 15 minute bonding time, which allows the feasiblility of layerthing this bad boy 4 times in an hour!

Both applies and removes easy.

JS109 lasts a lot longer than WG.

WG is my second favorite sealant, but I HATE the bonding time and it doesnt last. But it DOES look deeper than JS.

13. Calgarydetail

im sure there is better out there, i am not normaly a sealent guy so when my vintage comesi will be going back to nuba.

ok im not trying to casue problems, just pick your brain, hope thats alright :D

you say 15 minute bonding time, what is the cure time? there is no point in layering 4 times if there is a 12 hour cure time

thanks for the info

14. D&D Auto Detailing

20 minutes my friend. :D

15. Calgarydetail

wow im impresed the cure time is 20 min, in that case it may be worth looking into. hmm now you have the gears turning :eek: (sorry for the burning smell, i dont often have those gears running)

16. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

of course its ok! There are some crazies in the UK thats done it 9x times +!

17. Nica

Nica Banned

A yes UK detailers are wicked...they do stuff that blows me away hahahaha :D I man that in a good way though.