Winter Washing

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by noswirls, Nov 12, 2009.

1. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Greetings folks,
    Suggestions on best way to wash my 2010 Brilliant Black A4 during the upcoming winter months in Upstate, NY? She is my daily driver. the A4 has not seen a car wash since it's delivery three months ago.

The finish is in terrific condition. How best to keep it that way? Touch free car wash? Rinse Free handwashing in the garage? Handwash in a self-serve bay w/ a heated floor?

For those of you that live in cold weather climates, how do you take care of your beloved automobile(s)?

Thanks.

-- noswirls

2. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

If you absolutely can't use a hose and buckets, I suggest looking into the product called Optimum no rinse. You'll be thanking the gods after you see what this product can do for you.

3. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Do you live in a cold winter climate? I've seen no rinse products discussed/advertised, but I am wondering is this the main way folks wash their car all winter? Do car lovers really avoid any kind of car wash during the cold/snowy months?

Regards,

-- noswirls

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I would suggest rinsing it down with a power washer, then foaming the entire vehicle and letting it sit for a while, them power washing it all off. Then wash it with the two bucket method or the no rinse method.

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I second that!

6. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

I appreciate the replies. Right now I use a two bucket handwashing method using "Car Wash" from Griot's Garage. After drying, I apply "Spray on Wax" after each wash.

(1) Can you recommend a powerwasher? Is this an attachment I put on a regular hose?
    (2) What will I need to apply foam as recommended? Foam gun? What kind of product?

You guys do this all this on your driveway during the winter? Or use some kind of self-serve car wash bay? I'm just trying to imagine how this would practically work admist all the snow.

Regards,

-- noswirls

P.S. I think the best solution would be to move to California!

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

yes, your best solution is to move back to California...I'd only move to NY if they triple my salary...otherwise NO!
    Anyway, back to the point - Karcher PW is very popular, I have one myself and love it. You are looking around $150 for it...You will also need a foam cannon/lance...cheapest way is to buy it from UK, like Polishedbliss (that's where I got mine)...it's around 45 GBP plus shipping...you are looking $85-90 for it...the ones sold in USA (they don't make 'em here, just resell) are around $120... You will also need some good foaming shampoo to go with that...Chemical Guys CWC or CWG work nicely, as well as Maxi Suds II...all three are cost efficient...Also get some DURABLE wax or sealant, like Collinite 915, 845, or 476S, or Duragloss #601/105 combo...
    Good luck!

8. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

ONR is a good resource for winter washing - fill up the bucket inside and can do a bit at a time if it is too cold or do all in your garage. I've been using it since about feb of this year without any marring or problems.

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

+1. I use ONR all winter long. but I wash the car while it's parked in the garage, with a torpedo heater on to keep it above freezing. Works very well.

10. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

I've seen several positive references to ONR. Are you referring to "Optimum No Rinse & Wash & Shine?"

Anybody have a chance to compare ONR to Griot's Garage "Spray On Car Wash" product?

Thanks,

-- noswirls

11. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

noswirls, ONR is Optimum no rinse and shine. It took me quite a while to give it a try because I believed the claims were too good to be true - they aren't. Give it a try, even on just one panel if you like to see if it will marr that black paint. I think you'll really like it.

Also, yes I have tried the Griot's spray on wash. I wasn't very impressed with it. I used loads and followed the directions explicitly and still got some micromarring on my wife's Acura (nimbus gray). To me it just seems like a glorified QD that the encourage you to use lots of to 'wash' your car. It does make a pretty good QD but not at the price they want for it ;)

12. grease

grease Birth of a Detailer

Oh to live in Texas! Here, if I did as you suggest, my car would be covered if foamy ice... Im very serious, the foam will freeze on the car...thats assuming the hose doesnt freeze first causing my pipes to burst! :) Some of us have actual winters to deal with, and power washers and foam guns are rendered useless.

ONR ftw!

13. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

What part of the country do you live in? So, exactly what is your winter wash process? ONR only, or are you sometimes spraying down the car? Intermittent car washes?

- noswirls

14. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Thanks very much for the feedback. The idea of wiping anything across my paint finish without giving the car a good rinse is downright freightening to me! Obviously this ONR stuff works pretty well, or folks wouldn't give it such praise.

I'm thinking I might try a combination of a self-serve car wash bay that has a power sprayer, along w/ some kind of no rinse wash/detail product. I like the idea of rinsing off the salt and grime, before touching the car with anything. I want to give this a try BEFORE the snow hits.

I'm still thinking I should move to California. But then, I would have to trade my sedan in for a convertable.

-- noswirls

15. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Several people recommend doing just what you are thinking (coin up wash followed by home wash [ONR]). There is a thread over on autopia that shows someone pre-soaking with ONR in a spayer and then doing an ONR wash on a very winter dirtied Jeep Cherokee (black) and I was very impressed with the results. It was one of the things that helped me get over my fear of using it.

16. revandus

revandus Virgin Detailer

A new detailing enthusiast here from Canada. I normally just use the 2 bucket method for cleaning the car, and a latex glove for my hands to keep them dry.

I've been intrigued by the ONR though, can you just use it with a foam gun and spray all over a rinsed vehicle? That would save a lot of time!

17. richy

richy Guest

There's lots of Canucks on this board, myself included. ONR is used in a bucket (2 bucket method works best) with a wash mitt doing one section at a time. There's probably a video of it on youtube if you look. Your mitt will get very stained..that's normal..just wash it after in soap and water.

18. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Welcome, another canuck :)

You won't get much foam using a foam gun and ONR.

Plus the whole point is to reduce water usage and avoid having the water freezing so if you using the foam gun and its cold, you risk some of it freezing.

Best to use the bucket method.

19. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

20. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

That is an impressive ONR thread. I too love that stuff.