Winter Sealant in the Midwest

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by GoCubsGo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I know this has been asked dozens of times and I've searched, but wanted some specific advice.

I ONR wash and QD my daily drive about once a week if not more (Carbon Black BMW, the same is applicable to the GF's daily drive Jet Black BMW) . What do the experts advise as the best sealant for winter in the Midwest given the aforementioned wash/QD regiment?

Options:
    FMJ
    Jetseal 109
    FK 1000P

Number of recommended applications is also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Js109!!!

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

FK1000P is my winter sealant, idk if I may change it up this winter or not. But its a great sealant and very durable.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

How long does jet seal last? How would it compare to 845?

I'm seriously thinking about doing a durability test between these two using my car and my wife's car as testers.

5. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

I don't know how they compare, never used Colinite. Durability, depends on exposure, washing frequency, etc. I have just started using JS so, remains to be seen for me. I wait 24 hours before a second application. A good topper seems to bring out the finish. It is a bit spendy compared to other sealants but, I like the way it works on wheels thus far!! I think DD or FMINUS sells JS??

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I recently purchased JS, but haven't had a chance to use it. Just give 845 a try ... I think is the best winter wax ... you can really put it to the test where you live. Thanks for your valuable response.

7. GoCubsGo

I've been debating on picking up some 845, but I figured since I have FMJ, JS 109 and FK1000P I would go with something in my arsenal.

My Spring 2009 detail consisted of FMJ x2 and it was solid. I updated the hood and bootlid in July with JS 109 x 2 after some minor corrections and that was solid as well.

I live in a condo complex so I am limited on time between sealant applications via the PC (no electricity in the gargage). I like JS109 since it only requires 30 minutes between applications. FMJ was great over the summer, but I don't know how it will handle the heavy salt in Chicago. FK1000P sounds good but 24 hours between applications causes issues for me between applications.

Anyone have experience topping FMJ, JS109 or FK1000P with 845?

Damn I wish I had a man cave, it would make my life so much easier !!! ;).

8. dunncsu

dunncsu Two Bucket System Washer

Do you not have a garage door opener?

If you do just do what i do when detailing a car in it. Unplug the opener (outlet should be on the ceiling). Hook up a surge protector and go to town.

9. GoCubsGo

Damn Condo by-laws state washing or repairing cars inside the garage is not allowed. I'm even on the Condo Board and can't change the by-laws :(.

I run my PC off my inverter at the local car wash in the middle of the night for minor corrections, hence it's a hassle layering a sealant given I have to drive a few (~3) miles to get there, then an ONR wash is required etc..

10. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I live in New England...same weather as the Mid West....I have tried many combos for a winter protection system....and have come up with these.....

1. DG 501 topped with 105....best for me so far

2. Klasse Twins

3. Zaino

Now if you want to top it with a wax as a sacrificial barrier ..meaning have the wax take the beating..I would use a paste collinite or FK1000....these 2 products have proven them selves to last over a winter period.....

Now the IW845 is very solvent heavy and can comprimise the sealant coat your topping...

Now I do the winter protection late Oct or early Nov..weather permitting...and I still have great protection properties in May..beading is still very good and dirt repellant is tops...salt just rinses off with a rinse spray at the wand washes and dirt just flows off also.....

Now..on the JS109...I have found this product has poor duribilty lasting 6-8 weeks tops under summer conditions never mind winter ....if you use 109 and top it with a durable wax...as the 109 degrades with polymer breakdown..your top coat goes also.. as the wax is bonded to the sealant and not the paint...so as the sealant decays..no more bonding surface

Al

11. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

I found that same problem too with JS109. The intial app. looks great but the protection isn't worth talking about.
    The only sealant I will ever use is FMJ.

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Thats Fecking ridiculous!! As far as sealants go Colli 845 is very easy to use and will last. A couple coats one week apart will get you through the winter. Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is another good one. You can add a layer every 30 minutes and it only takes about 20 minutes to cover a car your size. Its so easy you could add a layer each time you wash until the weather turns crappy and you'd be set. Two coats will give you an easy six months. I have found that two coats of FMJ will go 6 months IF you wipe the car down with their maintainance spray ( I believe its called High Gloss Acrylic Shield) at least every second wash.

13. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Just thinking, what about AB? It is suppose to inhibit rusting and have some amazing durability, according to the testing they did if it can protect against rusting in the testing they did I am willing to bet it would do great in the winter. Also, it just looks so good!

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

talking about winter sealant? FK 1000p is the way to go!!!

15. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

For winter my car is getting Jetseal 109x2 and 845x2....

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Cant believe I forgot to mention it! :doh::doh: Thanks for the reminder

17. GoCubsGo

Thanks everyone for the input. After reading all your replies and doing some more research I think I have a plan. After my fall correction I'm going to go with FK1000P (x 2 or more depending on time), top with FK2685 (Pink Paste Wax) and I'll keep using FK425 as my QD. From my limited experience I have seen products from the same manufacturer tend to work well together so it looks like a Finish Kare winter test will be coming. I'll start a new thread that tracks the progress over the winter and I'll make sure to take lots of pix.
    Thanks again all :thumb:.

18. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

You could do some wild stuff like 501/601/105 topped with Collinite 845 or 476. I think if that works, a meteor wouldn't do anything to your paint.

19. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

there isnt much of a comparison in my opinion. JS, while i love it and it looks great, is not as durable as 845. i would much rather suggest 845 over jetseal for the winter months. its reported that you can get 2-3 months out of 845, while one coat of jetseal alone will only last around 4 weeks i believe. maybe jetseal topped with 845 might be nice....

if i could top autobalm with 845, that would be my ultimate winter protection combo.

20. badmatt

badmatt Birth of a Detailer

JS109 or Zaino Z2