Winter Road Brine Solution

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by TNWIII, Dec 14, 2010.

1. TNWIII

TNWIII Virgin Detailer

Well, it's that time of year again, where the state of PA begins using its brine solution on the roads, and I wanted to reach out to see what people recommend for its removal or if there's a new cleaning process.

I tried ONR, DP Waterless Wash and OptiClean, and although they removed allot, there was still random areas with a white oily residue left on the surface.

Obviously regular car soap works, but I was wondering if there were other products. I am trying to minimize water usage in the frigid conditions, etc.

Thanks..

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ Obsessive Detailer

I used to live in PA, and NJ is no better.

In my opinion, when that stuff gets on my car, I ONLY use soap and water while performing a full wash.

I just dont feel comfortable using any type of waterless wash when that gritty slime is all over my car.

Id rather leave it dirty for a small period of time before Id risk scratching the paint surface. I have layered my car in SV Blau Weiss and Einszett Glanz. Wheels in Menz Powerlock, Colli 845. I do that just incase the car has to sit for a few days with a layer of brine on it.

3. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Pre rinse with CR Spotless, then ONR inside the garage! I am ready for winter!!!

4. SDMDChris

SDMDChris Birth of a Detailer

I'm in Pa for school, any advice on getting this crap off the car would be awesome!

5. zliegen

zliegen Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Spray/Rinse the car down with a clay lube or QD dilution of ONR before you go about with your ONR wash, thats what I've been doing and have had no issues with cleaning the paint. Usually with salt/slush I will need to wash the section with more than one pass to have it come completely clean.

6. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

What is this snow you speak of? :D

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

This what I used to do when I lived in PA. I also used to pressure washed the crap out of the paint before hitting it with the ONR QD dillution pre-soak.

8. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

The KAKA that you guys get on your cars can't be any worse than the mega salt / sand combo we get in MTL.... My experience is just use a good heavy soap like ADAM'S with lots of suds... forget soap's like LUSSO and use a soap that has heavy suds... Wash at least once a week and you will be good to go...

I cannot see ONR or any soapless washes doing anything but causing major pain .... this is prob. the worst obuse a car's exterior or interior can take...

Just my .02$...

I kept a 2000 Toyota Echo in Flawless shape for 9 yrs and when i sold it it looked like new... I never waxed it ever ... it lived outside and i washed it inside a heated garage at three times a week to get the kaka off... i even used SUNLIGHT and it kept the paint perfect .....

9. racedoc11

racedoc11 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sure indoor heated garage is ideal but most of us don't have it...I'm even looking to rent a spot in a garage that has indoor washing facility just to wash the car...

10. Emile

I can only do an ONR wash inside. Earlier today, I actually did what I said I would do. Rinsed the car down with CR Spotless water which worked great to remove all the salt from my car, and then pulled it inside to do an ONR wash. Very little dirt/salt left on the vehicle after the pre-rinse.

11. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I couldn't live without it here.. between the sub-zero temps and my wash / detail addiction. If i didn't have that heated garage i'd pack up and move south :) ....

Maybe you can find a garage to borrow / rent from time to time... or maybe a do it yourself car wash ?

12. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

What is the best way to handle really thick built-up salt? Here in Kentucky, the road crews freak out when there's the slightest amount of snow on the ground, so there's salt EVERYWHERE and all of our cars are really nasty. When it finally stops snowing, I want do do an ONR wash on all of them but the salt is so thick I'm kinda worried about it marring the paint. Would blasting the cars off with the hose in the driveway before doing an ONR wash be a good idea? I would think that would get most of the thick crud off...

13. racedoc11

I wish you were local :)....

14. Emile

How do you wash inside? You have a drain right in your garage?

15. Emile

Rusty, try pre-rinsing the car with your regular hose water (assuming you didn't put your hose away for the winter) and then pull inside and immediately start doing the ONR wash. If your car is nicely waxed and the salt hasn't been on the vehicle for more than a week, it should come off really easily during the pre rinse.

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I agree, a pre-rinse followed by OTP Waterless Wash Concentrate will remove salt, road film, grit, etc

17. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Yes Emile I do have a drain in the garage. The only problem is that there is so much salt, stones, oil from the roads it creates havoc on the 4in. Drain. I have to clean it at least once a month.

The drain is connected to the city sewer....

18. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Wow ... that's nice. a garage drain is a no-no in most US cities. I guess a lot of people were dumping oil and other chemicals.

19. racedoc11

Where I live; there is a spot in the garage for car washing with a drain and big sink and lights but it was neglected and now the whole drain system in the garage is completely blocked... What a loss...

20. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

I'll spray each panel down with Ultima Waterless Wash before hitting it with a no rinse product (ONR or DP).