Winter car washing tips?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Kaban, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I am wondering, what do you guys in the cold states do in the winter to wash your cars?

I'm in northern IL. I must admit I don't even touch my car in the 4 months of winter because it's way too cold (average 20-30 degrees).

I wish I can find some sort of indoor facility where I can come in and use their water supply and bring my own stuff to wash it with.

Any thoughts?

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Optimum Polymer Technologies ( ONR) have set the standard in waterless washing by using polymers and surfactants to safely remove dirt/grime without causing surface scratching.

Waterless polymer based systems do not require pre-wetting the surfaces. A combination of polymers and surfactant cleaners safely removes dirt and grime and leaves a glossy protective finish. The polymers and surfactants used in these non rinse washes have the capability to bond to dirt particles and act as a barrier between the dirt particles and the paint. The grime and dirt is then trapped in the surfactant, protecting the paint finish without the need to use large amounts of water to flush the dirt off the vehicle.

With our busy schedules it’s very difficult to find enough time to wash your car and what with water restrictions and concerns for the environment it is even more difficult. Even when it's freezing outside it allows you to wash your vehicle. Some communities (condos, housing associations) prohibit the use of the traditional car washing (water hose and bucket) or severely restrict or do not allow car washing due to drought and water restrictions. Low winter temperatures make car washing difficult (and uncomfortable)

3. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Thanks. I have alot of ONR and I did give it a try last winter. I just wasn't too happy because you can't get salt from the inside door jams off unless you open each door etc. and that is really time consuming. I was more interested in traditional methods. I firmly believe you need to rinse salt from every crevice, otherwise it's not a complete wash imo.

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I agree with You; im bot a big Fan of ONR for winter. So find a 'Pay 'n Spray' facility close to home. Hopefully it's a covered and insulated one. Bring a bucket, soap, sponge, and towels and do your business. Often times the time of day you go is key. For me that would be later in the night before the faculty locks up.

Most people wont hassle you if you are taking up the bay (granted there are two). If someone hassles you just say you spoke with the owner of the facility and said it was okay to bucket wash.

I purchased a large plastic canister to house the water before dumping it into the bucket upon arrival. It's ice when you fill it up in the kitchen sink with warm water.

5. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

It probably isn't what you are looking for as an answer, but I use a pressure washer to knock the grit off, and then ONR in my garage.

I have found that insulated overalls are the key to winter washing. (or a good ski suit)

6. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I have seen this done and will probably be doing it over the winter, but you can go to one of those pay 'n spray places and pre-rinse your car, blast the salt outta all the crevices and stuff, then drive it home and ONR it in your garage. Then you're not stuck outside washing your car at a car wash place but you can still get the salt out of all the hard-to-reach areas.

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

If you don't have access to a garage or can't get a couple buckets of warm water, get a neoprene dish washing glove. They come up close to your elbow and give you a lot of temperature protection when you dip your hand into the bucket of water, regardless if you're washing by mitt or sponge. I think most of the "cold" feeling has to do with evaporation rather than just temperature itself. The pay and spray places are best, I don't think that many people will be washing cars (touchless or not) in sub-freezing temps.

8. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

9. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

i have been using a deep fat turkey fryer to warm my wash water up. portable enough too

10. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

11. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I have a by hand car wash where I live. I throw the guys some extra $$$$ to use fresh water and towels. Any spots missed get DS or WW and if it is not too cold out, I use spray wax.