Window Seals

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by RnR, Feb 11, 2009.

1. RnR

RnR Virgin Detailer

My daily driver sits out in the elements 24/7. Do you guys have any recommended techniques for cleaning and maintaining those friggin' window seals that emerge from the door frame and engage the glass as it slides through during movement?

It seems all I have to do is make one stop at the ATM or post office drop box - and I immediately notice a nasty series of horizontal lines - or marks - appearing on what was a moment prior... a very clean window. With all the effort I expend on trying to clean the glass, it is all for naught when the window moves.

Obviously the seals need some special attention but don't know the optimal process or products to pursue.

Any recommendations?

2. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Gummi pfledge for the exterior part of the seals. And roll the window all the way down and clean the inside of seals with very mild dillution of APC.

3. RnR

RnR Virgin Detailer

On my Grand Prix - I have that nasty felt-like material on the seal so I'll give it a mild scrubbing with the diluted APC as you suggest. Might also try treating it with 303 Aerospace as I just remembered that is the stuff I use on the windshield wipers - and this would be a similar application...

Nothing to lose by trying!

Thanks!

4. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

You might want to try putting a layer of sealant on the glass as well. I've yet to actually do this myself, but have used KAIO and DG Aquawax (not true sealants) with some success. Anything is better than nothing.

5. RnR

RnR Virgin Detailer

Hmmm, another possibility - I have the full-strength Aquawax on hand as well as a couple mixes that use AW at a diluted level - either one could be a possible combination seal cleaner & window sealer. That may be stretching it a tad - but ya never know!