window cleaners

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by merlin3008, Jun 6, 2010.

1. merlin3008

merlin3008 Birth of a Detailer

so i'm at home depot and looking at the zep product line because i like cheap good stuff. can someone educate me about the difference between glass cleaner with and without amonia? the price is right on the gallon jugs.

thanks!

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I do not know the benefit from having amonia for home purposes, but for automotive it is a benefit to not have amonia so that it can be used on tinted windows.

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Ammonia is a great additive to glass cleaner as it will leave glass crystal clear but issue is its impact, negative impact, on plastics. Thus, you should never use ammonia based cleaner on window tint as it is just glass also in the front windshield there is a plastic coating to help keep glass together if in a crash so you dont want ammonia on that as well. Get the non-ammonia formula and from what people say about it on here it will work great.

4. scoTampa

scoTampa Virgin Detailer

Even my home windows (and maybe yours) have an invisible tint to help with efficiency. The manufacturer says do NOT use ammonia based cleaner. They suggest Vinegar and Water only on the glass and mild soap and water on the frames (vinyl). Just a thought if you are thinking ammonia is always safe to use at home, it may not be.

5. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Zep pro the green stuff 1 gaql makes 32 gal it works great safe on all windows

6. evolutionwc3

evolutionwc3 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Just piked up the zep green (ammonia free) and absolutely love it. The wife loves it more than IG in the house too fwiw. IMO, better than sprayway, E1 20/20, Dirtex and IG on the vehicles.:mounty:

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Tried Zep Glass (non ammonia ) lately and love this stuff. For the price, you can't beat it.

8. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

I must be doing something wrong with my Zep glass. it streaks like crazy on me.

both with the "thief" glass towel from eshine and regular paper towel. Myabe i'll try some shop towels.

I mixed the product using distilled water...

9. merlin3008

merlin3008 Birth of a Detailer

I've found a trick that seems to work for me. Clean the window with glass cleaner and a standard microfiber. Then when the window dries, wipe it with the glass towel without anything on it - almost like your buffing. Works great for me.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I hate using MFs on glass if any get anything on them you wont get clear glass. I use the glass paper towels from PAC. They work great, and they are cheap.

I have a hard time going through 16oz of glass cleaner have no idea how long it would take me to get through 1 gallon of concentrate haha.

11. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Im still a standby of Meguiars concentrate in the 32oz sample bottle. It will last you forever. In a pinch if you can find it OTC Meguiars NXT glass cleaner was great stuff too.

I can't use Invisible glass anymore it always streaked ugh and it never works in the cold