Why you use two bucket method....

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by 911Fanatic, Jan 18, 2009.

1. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

After washing this clients truck the other day, I forgot to empty my buckets until the next day. By that time all the foam had disappeared and this is what was left. The first pic is the rinse bucket, the second is the wash water. If you are NOT using the TBM, the first pic shows the water that you are washing your vehicle with. Just so you know, the heavily soiled areas of the truck were presoaked and then the whole truck was foamed and rinsed BEFORE washing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmmm....

2. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I have never in my life got so much dirt in a bucket, and I am mostly using 1 bucket...

3. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

i think it depends where you are and what you're washing.... im sure that truck had alot of road grime on it, which even if you foam and rinse won't release the dirt that has clung to the paint

4. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

is there a grit guard in the rinse bucket?

5. 911Fanatic

Bingo! Keepm in mind, Porta, the water IS dirty, but it doesnt mean the bucket is full to the top with sand and dirt. This was just for illustration purposes. Even if the rinse bucket was only half as dirty, its still dirt that will make its way back to the paint without using the TBM.

6. 911Fanatic

Most definately!

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great photographic illustration there, Ken, to remind us why we use the TBM!

8. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Wow, I'm glad I have not encountered any cars like that yet! Been meaning to pick up one more grit guard but too busy to :(

9. Nica

Nica Banned

Looks good 911...well from a detailers point of view that is :thumb:

10. musc

musc Jedi Nuba

That's an insane amount of dirt!

11. 911Fanatic

Its Canada, and its winter. It sucks but it is what it is.:gross:

12. richy

richy Guest

That bucket's as dirty as my little mind!!:afro:

13. 911Fanatic

not even close, big guy!!!!!

14. heatgain

heatgain Guest

Or could that mean the foam rinse is a waste of time?
    Things that make ya go....hmmmm....

15. 911Fanatic

The foam cannon is NOT meant to actually clean your car. What it is meant to do is remove any loose sand, dirt and grit to leave the surface as clean as possible before you take a mitt to it to limit the chances of introducing any new marring to the paint. Unfortunately, even with a ton of wax on this truck, alot of dirt had built up because of our weather, it hadn't been washed in 3 weeks. If you want your paint really clean before you wash, mix a 50/50 solution of your favorite APC, I like Autoglym Powermax3, and apply it through a pump sprayer. This will clean pretty much all the dirt off. Consequentley, it will probably remove all your wax as well.

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Exactly, well said. :thumb:

17. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

Is this ok?, i do foam then rinse, then foam again and then attack it with mitt and a rinse bucket

18. 911Fanatic

Yes. As long as you rinse after the first foaming. Thats the part that gets rid of all the grime before you wash.:thumb:

19. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I guess it's because I detail, and maintain my car, and since I'm in SC (with NO snow all winter :) for cars) and because I never let my car longer than a week, and because I keep it waxed.. etc etc etc etc.......

but I never use 2BM, and my soap water always looks the same after I wash then when I started. After a pressure rinse, pH neutral foam the car is 90% clean, just need the soap to get off the light film of dirt, and shine the clearcoat up.

20. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

if you use a good soap it won't get back into the paint as the polymers will encapsulate the dirt..tar may be another story..also the grit is the main thing..sand and grit are the deal reason to do the two bucket method..who wants to grab a piece of sand do a panel and see nice marrs and scratches.. but putting dirt back on the paint? i don't think so..it isn't gonna make the car cleaner unless the car was seriously filthy in the first place. like your finding suggest..it is all subjective and opinionated but one thing is for sure that the tbm reduces the chances but by no means eliminates them. you can still get grit or whatever in your sponge or MF or whatever..i use one sponge for lower parts and one for everything else..the difference between the two sponges after is huge.