Why you DON'T use a SCOTCH BRITE Pad...

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by d00t, Mar 5, 2010.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

... To clean tree sap off your car.

Now, I usually don't do simple spot repairs like this, as I'd spend just as much money driving and setting up+gas as I would be making on the job itself. But this customer lived only 1.5 miles from my apt. so I decided to go ahead and take care of it--as I knew she wouldn't go for a wash/wax PLUS the spot repair as it would have been "too much". :shrug:

Also, I've been accused of not knowing how to polish lately since I've just been posting up cars that were already 85%. So here's some wet-sanding for you all!

So here's what I was up against:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So first thing I did was give it an IPA wipedown. Then, clayed the car. It was it pretty rough shape:

This was after just a 2'x2' section

[​IMG]

Then I started to polish. I KNEW I'd need wool (ha) so I just went right for PFW and M105. Didn't even make a DENT. Then I tried Megs Yellow so1o wool.. again, NOTHIN'. So I went back home, picked up Meguiars Unigrit 1500, 2500, and 3000. Let them soak for about 30 minutes and started with 1500, and finished with 2500 before doing two passes of wool+m105 and one pass of uber yellow + FC+.

Starting to sand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1/2 the sanding polished:

[​IMG]

Whole left side sanded:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

HUGE improvement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fender sanded:

[​IMG]

Hmm.. no reflection?

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all, thanks for looking!

As always, C/C Welcome!

:peace:

Aaron

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

damn. why would someone use a scotchbrite pad on paint?

nice save Aaron.

3. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

:doh: You don't have to be a genius to figure out you just don't use something like that on your car. :crasy: Great save.

4. Great job Aaron! Great save! It takes skill to clean up after other detailer's messes that can only achieve 85%...:D.

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great save Aaron. Someone must be jealous and/or lack the intelligence if they're accusing you of not knowing how to polish. Obviously they were wrong, LoL.

6. richy

richy Guest

Aaron...don't get your knickers in a knot over what someone else has to say about your ability. YOU know what you can do; that's all that's important. Life's too short to get caught up in that kind of drama...leave it to the women. As far as this job goes, you had some really deep scratches that you were able to get out well. Just curious, do you have a PTG? I'd be very nervous using 1500 on a car that I didn't know what amount of clear was there to start with. That's not a criticism...I just want you to be careful. Your correction work was good and you got the surface back to a lovely finish.

7. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Aaron fantastic save. That hood just looks scary and the thought of the grooves caused by the scotchbrite pad sends shivers up my spine lol.

I applaud your problem solving skills when it comes down to pad product and technique.

Well done !

8. infiniti24

infiniti24 Birth of a Detailer

eeekkk what is the world coming to nice save how much did you charge might I ask?

9. svpro

svpro Birth of a Detailer

Did somebody just wash the car with sandpaer ?

How did it happen?

Look like a RX330 or 350..poor thing

10. AcuraYYZ

AcuraYYZ Virgin Detailer

Imagine the paint being like that but on a the whole car! I saw a taxi-driver wiping his filthy BLACK car down with a rag. No water or soap. The car was totally matte with no clearcoat! Yikes

11. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I am shocked that there was enough clear coat on the car to be able to actually fix damage that bad. Great job. Although when the damage is that bad breaking through the clear coat would actually look better, not that you would want to do that. It never ceases to amaze me what some people do to their cars. Not the first time I saw somebody use a scotchbrite pad or brillo pad on their paint.

12. Hamilton

Hamilton Virgin Detailer

what type of towels are those teal ones? where did you get em? thanks!

13. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I am very surprised PFW with 105 didn't make a dent, wow. What car was this? Nice save, by the way! Bet the customer was pleased.

14. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Thanks a lot! Beats me!

Very true! Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

Haha, thanks Denzil!

Thanks richy! Yeah, I got most of them out--but wasn't comfortable chasing the deep deep ones. And YES OF COURSE!! I flew blind ONCE while wet sanding and it was so traumatising, the next day I bought a PTG. I had NO idea at the time how much I was removing, etc etc and I was VERY nervous. I've had my PTG about a year now. It started off with 140-160 microns. I removed about 4-5 microns on the hood, and about 7 on the fender. (I was very light on the sanding on the hood, more heavy on the fender).

Thanks a lot Nick!!

Thanks! $40/hr. So $140

It was a scotch brite pad ;). And yes, RX330. BOth stated in the opening paragraph :p

Yikes indeed!

There was plenty of clear coat. This car had never been polished. 140-160microns. Thanks!

They are some OTC i got at Kragen and they're super soft! I love them

I was surprised the Yellow solo wool didn't do anything!! (more aggressive than pfw). It was an RX330. Thanks a lot! She was pleased :)

15. bige441

bige441 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I think I just threw up in my mouth. Nice save by the way. The hood looked like it was half preped for a repaint.:yikes:

16. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Great save!

17. derrick666

derrick666 Virgin Detailer

wow! good job!!!

18. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

What a scary site to walk up upon, great job.

How much are those towels btw?? lol...

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[Imagine the paint being like that but on a the whole car! ]

I'd spent the best part of three days preparing my E-Type for a Concours d’élégance. My youngest daughter knew that I always washed it on the morning before I'd load it on the trailer.

Well she thought she'd help daddy by getting up real early and washing it for me, there was a layer of pollen on the surface so she removed it with ................bless her heart

I loaded it on the trailer and took it to a friends house to polish it out and had an enjoyable day doing his car as well. When I eventually went back home I told her no BOS this time, she had a puzzeled look but said, never mind, maybe next time daddy...

20. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

very nice work. Wish i could sand like that. Something are just better off being wet sanded. I have seen people washing their cars with a scotch brite pad and i just shake my head.