WHY Wheel Woolies

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by chefwong, Jan 27, 2013.

1. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

Ive looked at Wheel Woolies since they came out. Still have not bought a set...
    Tons love it.

Here's my system.
    I use retired sheepskin mitts for the wheels as a 1st pass.
    Then I use a Swisswax brush to get any detail I can't get .
    If I need to get to the barrels, out comes my Ace Powersticks.
    I think ALOT of people are missing out, cause no one seems to rave about the Powersticks and I use all 2 out of the 3 quite frequently.

I'm not sure how the WW can or would replace or supplement my wheel cleaning routine.
    I don't think it has hard enough without additional mechanical means of removing stuff - which generally the brush comes into play.

So tell me Wheel Woolies uses, what makes you a Fan.

2. 3PedalMINI

3PedalMINI DB Forum Supporter

i thought the same thing, Phil offered them at a slight discount when he released them so i figured why not, I love them and i dont plan on ever going back. They are alot quicker then the old way of doing it, stiff enough to cut the tough grime and if you use Sonax its a killer combination

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

for me, its the density and the actual fibers of the wheel woo lie, has great surface area and super easy to clean off.

the range of sizes is also very nice as well as the length. The stick is very rigid and im going on year 4 with mine and love them. I too have the SW brush and they have their use, but they fall apart and shed hair. Out of the 3 SW brushes I have one is still in great shape, the others the plastic either cracked or completely fell off and they are shedding hair. Not good for a pricey brush IMO and I am not doing anything out of the normal with them.

there are a multitude of ways to clean wheels, none is better or "the right way" its all personal preference

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If you have the Ace Powersticks and they are working for you, why spend your money on another item that does the exact same job? The wheel woolies are awesome, do a great job and last forever. They will be a great replacement WHEN your Powersticks finally fail.

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

If you buy the set you get a good range of sizes and last for a long time.

6. chefwong

The original process is totally different when I use the pressure washer, but as of late, I've backed off using the PW. All of the weights on all my car and wheels, whether it be summer or winter are stick ons. I've noticed whenever I swap them during seasonal changes, I find a magnet missing on a wheel.

I've got 4 SV brushes. 2 for wheels , 2 for paint. I've yet to see the issues noted, but mine may have less mielage. Could it also be due to chemicals. I DON'T use APC on my wheels everytime. I do clean my DD every 2-3 days, rain, snow, sleet or sun. With the wheels sealed, I only really use APC maybe every 1 1/2 months to get a good scrubbing. Could that be attributing to the wear on your SV brush.

Granted, I see how you can use a WW on a multi spoke from a distance and there are benefits to that.
    I kinda like getting intimate with the spokes and my sheepskin mitts with my hand.....

I've be curious to hear from someone who owns both a Powerstick and a WW, which do they prefer...

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

age could be it, so could chemicals. I do use them with wheel brightner, but I always clean them.

On my personal cars, I usually dismount my wheels every three months and give them a good cleaning. Takes no time at all, plus I can do my undercarriage

8. 911Fanatic

I have been using a few of my RG brushes for well over a year and they get used everyday. I use them with APC ( from undiluted to 5:1 ) and wheel acid (same). As long as they are rinsed out thoroughly before being put away, they should last. I too use a mitt on my wheels - faces and back side of spokes.

9. chefwong

I'm getting old. f'n heavy 21" wheels/tars. I almost, a big Almost nicked my freshly repowdercoated BBK as I had it on a spacer and the hub on the spacer was like 1/8" of meat.

BTW, anyone else *backing* off from Pressure Washing wheels --- in fear if loosening up weights ?
    Oftentimes, as a *detailer* or person cleaning a wheel, you just go HAM on cleaning it....
    I literally spray the paint and just do a light pass on the wheels just due to finding a missing weight once or twice on wheel.

10. 911Fanatic

Don't aim the pressure washer right at the weights. Problem solved. Go ahead and fire it up big guy!