Why the correlation?! Photograpphy & Detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by hamza7, Jul 31, 2011.

1. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Being a member for a couple of months now, I have noticed a extreme correlation between Detailing and Photography, a lot of people here have DSLR's and take great pictures and they also do great details, even for detailers outside the forum I noticed there other main hobby is photography.

Anyone know why?

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

For me its a way to earn a living. Without good pictures, people won't believe what can be done. Its like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I think the photography bug digs in once you buy a good DSLR.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I agree with Bryan. You want to showcase your work as best you can. A decent camera with a great lens makes the world of difference. Caution though, photography can be addicting and is waaaaaay more expensive than detailing!

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

To add to what Bryan and Ken said...

For me detailing and photography show a high-level of precision and attention to detail.

I think it's clear, as detailers, we expect more than mediocre from our work; it's much more than what we do, it is who we are.

5. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i think its more then detailing ... go to any car show and the majority of people there are holding dslr. the fact that dslrs photoshop and the internet have made it easier for people to capture and show off their work

6. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

LOL and I thought detailing was hurting my wallet, ohh well guess I can put off that D90 until I still making some real money!

7. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

For me, I grew up around one, developed a love for auto culture and so happened I am doing 2 things that are really enjoyable(and fortunate to do so).

For work purposes, regardless of the camera type(P&S or SLR) a quality picture can bridge the gap between knowing what was done and more importantly, BEING THERE to experience the glow of paint or the gloss of wheels, the richness of crisp clean tires that are rich black like right after a detail is finished.

8. StuLax18

StuLax18 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I don't want to take pictures of a dirty or ugly looking car. ;)

9. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

To me it's a win-win and well worth the extra coin to get a DSLR.

I get to justify spending that amount of money on a camera since it's "For my business".

10. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Detailing is art and so is photography. being able to go on forums and look at people's work of art is very relaxing feeling.

11. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

It's manly to pick up photography, just don't do it with a backpack with lots of posters sticking out etc then it becomes creepy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NorthernPerfectionist

NorthernPerfectionist Virgin Detailer

I personally think its because photography shows how skilled the person really is....a decent camera will pick up on any flaw, having a couple good shots of a just detailed vehicle shows the detailer their skill , and gives them a chance to enjoy their work...not to mention it will show them where to touch up on, thats why I do it anyway :)

13. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Kinda late to respond, but I think it's simple. Since human memory is not perfect and most often blurs, the best way of keeping track or remembering the gorgeous car you've just detailed, or to show it to potential clients is with a picture. While P&S cameras CAN get good pictures, a Digital SLR will allow for more ease and for more creativity/play. I'm currently shopping for an entry level DSLR and have my eye on a Canon T2i. I have grown a little in photography since Ken mentioned getting a certain book, and I am now ready to step out of my bridge FujiFilm.

14. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

lol, +1, I just bought a $800 dollars lens because it's "for the business".

15. 911Fanatic

My only advice would be to take tons of pics. It's the only way you'll get better. Learn to use the manual settings. I've taken nearly 20,000 in the two years since I bought my NIkon. Practice makes perfect.

16. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I just bought a Lumix G3 and love the camera, but if the NEX7 was available (Xmas time) I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Are you aware of these mirrorless cameras? They are small and take fantastic pictures.

17. cu2mike

Because it's sexy when you learn how. FYI: this car hasn't been washed in 2 weeks or something like that, lol
    [​IMG]

18. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

nice Mike, could you tell me what you're using in this photo...

19. cu2mike

I used a Nikon!
    lol jp with you Franki, I used my D7000 with a Tokina 11-16 2.8 wide angle and Nikon SB600. Built in reflector was used to cover up the flash head to lessen the power of the flash, and I had it pointed up towards the ceiling to bounce the light off.

20. 911Fanatic

Nice Mike. I want a super wide like that. My 16-85 works well in my shop for the most part for now. You could send it up here so I could try it. I promise I'll send it back. Really, I will. :)