Why D300?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Rcrew, May 30, 2012.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Have been using the Megs MF system and really enjoy it. However, I have yet to purchase D300 for it and have mainly been using M105 or 203S with it. For those of you that have used the MF system with both M105 and D300, what am I missing?:thumb:

2. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

D300 cuts a bit less than 105 but has a longer working time and longer lasting lubrication. It's excellent to mix 105/300 to cut down on dusting IMO. Plus D300 is pretty cheap. Also, I think D300 is a diminishing where 105 is non-diminishing.

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

That makes sense. It sounds like a good product for 1 step jobs.

4. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

D300 is not silicone free(FYI) as well as being NON diminishing. It is going to have a bit too much for anything considered medium hardness, unless youre fine leaving a slightly sharper finish or a tiny bit of "oh I didn't realize it was a little hazy" type haze.

Shane, prime with 300, cut with 105 or a little dot of 300 on your 105 and you have considerably less dust though keeping your pads clean goes a long way.

5. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Las far as mixing the two together, would you do this on a foam or MF pad?

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

yeesh, didn't realize it had silicone in it. That makes me less apt to pick up D300. Are we talking as much silicone as D151?
    I have primed with 105 and worked with 105 while keeping the pad very clean w/ brush and pad washer and really had no issues with dusting.

7. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

D300 is about the cut and finish of Menzerna SIP in my opinion

8. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

That being said, it's pretty much useless my itself......but as mentioned makes a wonderful "mixer" to the M105 or M101

picture M101 as vodka....D300 is the pineapple juice.

9. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Really? I keep my pads clean and still think it dusts like a blizzard

10. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I think it depends on the clear, I have noticed more on some cars than with others but, it does always dust and a bit more than I would prefer.

11. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

If your concern is concealment it doesn't mean that because it has silicone that its going to fill anything - hell there are products WITHOUT silicone that fill like crazy unintentionally, Its what makes it so easy to work with and wipe off.

D151 conceals because of the kaolin in it, not the siloxanes.

DirtyWerx and everyone - you guys kind have a couple of options, 105 is going to sorta "clump" where D300 wants to slowly clog so if you can prime your foam or MF(whatever you like) with D300, and use the 105 or even 205 for your polishing or cutting or whatever you will have the dust moderation of D300 from the siloxanes in it(OMG DOESNT AQUARTZ HAVE THAT - lol) , or a little extra cut with 205, but then your primary polish or cutter will be your cut level dictator. Its actually pretty cool.

12. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

The above is right on the money ^^^^^^^^^^.

13. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Menz 203 used with the microfiber is not a optimized combo, use D300 then follow with 203 with a foam pad as you are still in the cutting/defect removal phase. Both Menz 203 and Megs D300 are very good used as intended, also D300 depending on the mechanical cut of the foam pad can be great as well as the "Good silicons" lol........... allow for quick wipe off of the panels and as for filling as Mike said it is a non-issue especially with a DA polisher as opposed to a High speed rotary.

14. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

D300 for me is a useful compound. It does cut a bit less then M105 but finishes much nicer and is easier to work with.

On hard paints it works great as a one step too.

15. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

I like D300, the container has the best spout design there has ever been, the smell is like Big Red (officail gum of Nascar per Ricky Bobbie) and it cuts/finishes fine with MF pads. One trick I've learned is to use a bit less, and always use compressed air to clean the pad after every panel. M105 was the "man" back in the day, but that dusting has caused me to move on.

16. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Loving the D300/M105 combo these days, and really appreciate the insight from everybody. Keeping the pads clean of build-up is certainly key. Those microfiber fingers really like to be clean. I brush after every section and switch out pads roughly every door sized area.

Junebug, thanks for mentioning the smell- I love it! Although a small component to consider when choosing a polish, the cinnamon smell is great compared to the chemical smell most polishes have.

17. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I can't wait to try this combo on my next detail. Maybe on my wife's car lol

18. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I really enjoy using D300 but ami he only person who has had issues with if filling? I have found that on some one steps, if the D300 doesn't remove everything, it will conceal some damage. The panel will look good when wiped down but 10 minutes later, that same panel will reveal some previously hidden damage. Any thoughts?

19. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

yes i have had that issue but it seems random as hell ...i figured was just technique

20. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

If it is dusting, doesnt that mean its done ? Dont you want to use it and stop right before it dries out thus,creating the dust ?
    Dan F