Why Brush the Snow off!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by luke093, Jan 7, 2011.

1. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

So after doing the hood of my dads CRV- worst paint ever to deal with, crazy soft, wiping with a soft microfiber needs to have little pressure, and its just a pain to work with... My dad decides after 2 inches of snow, he would brush the hood off with one of those winter brooms for cars.

Firstly, I am pissed so much, as the same thing happened last year- except he used a towel to dry the area in the garage, but this time its worse...

Why do people need to brush snow off... I never do and it just blows off or melts later, if needed is there any safe way to go at it?

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

well if you are in NJ we get ticketed if you have snow on your car, its a hazard.

3. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i took my truck out today . and left alot of snow on my truck . i brushed alittle off but i wont dare touch the paint. i just fully machine polished my truck so im a little scared of brush swirls. ill chance the ticket and play dumb lol.

4. snowking724

snowking724 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've been blinded by snow flying off peoples car's on the highway,this is very unsafe. Since my truck is a DD, I don't mind taking a snowbroom to it, just another excuse to polish when it's warm out. I also don't feel safe driving around the people who have cleared off as much snow as their wiper's could take care of, seems lazy and dangerous.

5. luke093

Guys to make this clear, I meant on the hood. Obviously, the windows and everything need to be done, but the clear is getting really thin on the hood... M105 3x times now to get the defects out- and will be needing it done 1 more time... It just annoys me as my dad doesn't respect the work and effort I do to keep it in the nicest possible condition as I drive it almost daily.

6. snowking724

snowking724 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

The hood is were it usually flies from,that updraft is a bitch! Why not have a chat with the old man about how he clears off his car or do it for him. Don't be THAT GUY with a foot of snow on your car driving around. I think you'll agree when your trying to concentrate on driving and BAM, huge pile of snow slams your windshield. It will happen if you drive in the snow enough. Also, if these are DD's, why use that much 105? Use some AIO or something to give some shine, it's not worth it, possible cc failure, for a DD.

7. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

You can get ticketed in NJ,but I also like to take the risk. The bulk of the snow seems to come off very soon after driving on a well-waxed finish.

8. luke093

Yeah, I realize that, and thats his argument, that its not worth restoring the finish until he decides to sell it... but I mean, I understand if its too much to handle, but it was a minor 2inches at maximum.

9. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i agree. i take some ofmine off but . i dont do what most do and brush there entire car with a stiff brush hell no!!!.

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Can you use a leafblower and blow it off?

11. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

everyone else has hit the nail on the head...any snow on any part of ur car while driving on the highway is either a hazard to urself or the people around u...

hate driving near another car that has snow flying off of it making the surroundings look like a whiteout.

12. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

does anybody sell a soft snowbrush? obviously the snow and ice itself is hard and will cause scratching but at least if the brush is soft it's one less thing.... has anybody seen any for sale?

13. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I would just say wipe the snow off down to like a half inch or so from the paint, then you won't create a miniature blizzard behind your car everywhere you go but you can protect your paint too. If the snow isn't too heavy you could try the leaf blower too.

My concern is ice. We recently had ice here, and though I don't park my daily outside I will when I'm at college. It seems to me that any means of getting it off could cause potentially severe damage to your paint, but leaving it on is DEFINITELY not an option. I saw cars going down the road and a sheet of ice would fly off--big enough to cause damage if it hit another car. Here's the ice on my car...since it's not my daily I just let it melt and fall off.

[​IMG]

The entire logo was under a sheet of ice:

[​IMG]

14. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Not the kind of wet heavy snow we get up north .. :)

15. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

As far as snow brush's go i have used this on my cars with zero issues ... It really is a good brush and does not damage paint. One night it snowed about 4-5 inches and when i came out of the house the car was covered. Pulled out the Snow Mover and in about 10 minutes including the roof and bumpers the car was done...

Here's the linky and it can be bought at DD

http://www.detailersdomain.com/snowmover.aspx

try it you'll like it ! :)

16. zachc

zachc Two Bucket System Washer

I was thinking the same thing, seems like a good idea, never tried it.

17. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Here's a little trick. If you're so worried about scratching your car during winter, get a winter rig that you don't care so much about the paint. I got an old jeep just for that purpose, cause I know if it had good paint I'd be worried about it all the time. That, or buy a little car port from costco and show your neighbors how high maintenance you really are ;)

18. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

19. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

The answer is a winter beater!

20. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Clear the Snow

Stand on one side of the car. Using a long-handled snow plough (Snow Moverâ„¢ ) push the snow on the roof of the car as far to the other side as you can reach, leave a 1/2-inch of snow to melt by itself as this will avoid surface scratches. Once the roof is mostly clear, continue pushing the snow on the rear window, trunk, windshield and hood. Walk around to the other side of the car and use the snow plough to clear the piled-up snow off the car. Use the snow brush to remove any snow that hasn't come off the windshield, hood or headlights.

Use an ice scraper to remove any ice from the windshield and other glass surfaces.

Clear snow from the roof as well as from windows, snow piled up on the roof can fall onto the windscreen obscuring your view and can also be a hazard to other road users (this is also illegal in some states/ countries and subject to on the spot fines).