Why are 3m plates so good...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by bgray, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bgray

bgray Birth of a Detailer

hey guys. Ive been using the Backplates from AG, which i think are LCC??

I see alot of people using these 3m plates that look like they have alarge amount of foam then the hook...is this right??

whats the advantage of using these plates, how much diff do they feel from regualr LLC plate?

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

They seem to dampen vibration and give you a smoother feeling. Also they grab the pad better than any backing plate I have used. They also help when you need go over any angles on a vehicle.

3. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

they just look cool!

4. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Its because they are not easy to come by so in turn that makes the "want" factor so much greater, just like that of Riccardo clay for example.

Yes it is a great BP but $60 is a lot for one, I should know because i spent that on it. I do think its butter smooth though.

5. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

Totally different feeling when polishing with one. I used the Megs backing plates as well as the urethane ones but would never go back. However It would be nice if someone in Canada or US would make a replica one for much cheaper which I assume gloss it is doing right now

6. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

I use them all, except the 3M ones. Have to get one soon at a fire sale.........

7. Nica

Nica Banned

I own quite a few backing plates and to me all the other backing plats are way too stiff/hard. The Yellow 3M UK backing plate not only grips the foam pad incredibly well but because of that extra cushion it spreads the pressure on the surface of the paint evenly. I was so eager to get this backing plate that I fort ordered the M14 version, then trough persistence I was able to get the 5/8th version.

I'm sticking to the 3m UK backing plate...but I'm always willing to try something new :cheerl:

8. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

If you know where to look they arent that expensive ;) $60 is way too much for them.

9. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Links?

10. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

11. scot_w

scot_w Birth of a Detailer

And the bartender yelled last call so if you are getting in on it, get a move on.

12. Strs90

Strs90 Birth of a Detailer

I just bought one from polishedbliss for $38.50 shipped to FL.

I saw the group buy was charging more.. with the re-shipping, and paypal fees, and twice as long a wait, I just bought one directly.

13. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

when you have a regular backing plate, it doesn't have room to flex around the edges so the pad either absorbs the impact in change.

the foam cushion in the 3M backing plate helps work like shock absorbers in your car around edges like the fender so your pads don't have to absorb all of the shape changes as it is working really hard to break down the polish. It's a rather simple design, but nobody else has really done it.

I wouldn't say it's completely necessary, but it helps a lot for me.

14. wooly

wooly Virgin Detailer

15. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

+1 on the 3M, hands down the best backing plate I have ever used. It really makes polishing all contours and curves a breeze. Definately worth the $$$ IMHO ;)

16. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Wait you bought it at the same place Matrix is getting it from,cheaper?:shead:

17. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

I am actually not going through PB. I know a reseller and I was given prices on the pads. I guess backing plate is a bit cheaper through them but the pads arent. I just used their website so everyone could have a description of everything. Sorry, thought I had a deal on the BPs :sorry: If you would like to pull out I can see if I can cancel the order.

18. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Nope. I'm just glad there was no ill intentions here. If I deserved it cheaper I should have done the research myself:thumb:
    Thanks for replying Matrix.

P.S. I know how you can make up for this, sell me your mystery CHEAP.:tiptoe::applause2:

19. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Make me an offer and ill think about it haha. i kinda need the money.

20. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

Has anyone seen/used the BP's from Rubbish Boys? Looks a LOT like the 3M version (plus there's a small one!!)

Price isn't too bad either - only problem is that it's M14 (from what I gather, we need 5/8ths here in the US, right?)

Given the current exchange rate, the whole bundle is only about $73.00 - good deal?