Which Wheel Cleaner Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Marc08EX, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I'm debating on picking up either the P21S Gel or the Sonax. Which would you suggest and why? They're pretty pricey and I'd rather pick the better one of the two.

Thanks.

2. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

phil at detailers domain has both but for sure sonax has got the edge on this one

3. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

sonax all the way!!! It is FARRRRRRR better then P21S!

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have both and say they are both quite effective wheel cleaners. It's like asking whether Audi or BMW are better cars. They are both nice luxurious vehicles, yet people will have a preference over the other. In the end, they are both very very good.

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I've just been reading some posts that Sonax is overrated and in some cases, it doesn't really clean effectively. I'm just not sure whether I want to believe that or not.

6. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

for rims that are in decent shape they are both good. I would pick up AG CWC as it is as good if not better in cleaning and it can be used for tires. It is also a lot cheaper. AM Magnificent is also decent and extremely cheap if you want a cleaner that is good for regular wheels (not polished aluminum). just my 2 cents

7. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Two reasons:
    1.) If you use a soft brush, the rim may not come clean in some places. The Sonax may have only disolved the top layer of the brake dust, but a semi-stiff brush or sponge may be needed to remove all of the brake dust.

2.) Sonax makes a host of wheel cleaners. What we get is the R2000 Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. If your wheels don't have a substantial amount of brake dust where the Sonax won't turn red, you're better off just using soap & water to clean the wheels.

To the OP:
    I'd say that both are great products. P21S Gel is better at dissolving a variety of dirt and grime (brake dust being its specialty), while the Sonax is ONLY a brake dust hunter and does a better job without having to wait up to 2 hours like P21SG.

8. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

+1 CWC beats both Sonax and P21S IMOH and its Half the Price. I use mine 50/50 Diluted, it also has a Shining Agent which is definatly Noticable... AG CWC is the way to go

Its on Sale right now for $40 for a 5L jug at Ken's shop Autowerks

9. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

i stuck on p21s. cant seem to switch...

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

We sell and use all three here in our shop. All three are non acid cleaners so are safe for pretty much any wheels. I find the P21S to be the weakest of the three for cleaning ability whilst the Sonax and AG are very close. The CWC has the added bonus in that the detergents in it will pull more dirt out of your tires than any other cleaner available and it will leave a noticeable shine on your wheels. On maintained wheels you can cut it 1:1 as well so you are getting 10L for $45. In side by side testing, the two are very close. There isn't a $50 advantage to using the Sonax.

11. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

^^^^ what ken said...

hey ken how far are you from Kelowna, BC? im @ Big White for the Week Snowboarding... Maybe i should come down and pick up some supplies

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

i stopped using sonax on my Work wheels on my personal car, they never get that dirty and its a waste of product, but on customer cars that are caked with brake dust its awesome. Im looking to get some different wheel cleaners for my personal car to see how thay work. I have CG gel comming to try out.... basically more for maintance.

13. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

for me its Sonax.

I can get the insides of wheels cleaned up with no brush. (I do use a pressure washer)

14. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That would be awesome! Im about a four hour drive but only a short flight. I can pick you up from Abbotsford airport.

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

ive been using custom wheel cleaner for a few years now, and sonax since phil started carrying it. i like both wheel cleaners a lot. both work very well. but all in all, i must say that i still have to give the edge to custom wheel cleaner. its much cheaper and way more economical especially if you use it 1:1. plus, like ken said, i havent found anything else that pulls more dirt out of tires than custom wheel cleaner. to be quite honest, ive been a bit disappointed with sonax lately. i use it quite liberally when spraying on, but have had to clean a few sets of wheels twice lately as the first round of cleaning just didnt do it after agitation and pressure washing. plus sonax smells like shit, and i happen to really like the smell of custom wheel cleaner.

16. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I vote for Autoglym cwc too, good value when diluted 1:1, can clean all types of wheels, tyres and exhaust.

If you are in the Florida area, try out Brown Royal.

17. Kilo6_one

+1

Got my CG citrus wheel cleaner in, im ordering some AG CWC and we shall see which stays in re order list LOL

18. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

if you dont absolutely love custom wheel cleaner, i will be surprised.

19. Kilo6_one

yeah, its getting alot of raves....... who sells it in bulk? might as well just go for broke LOL

20. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

i also use 1:1 AG CWC on my Fender Liners..