Which Sealant would you choose?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by detaildude3629, Jun 22, 2011.

1. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

I have 4oz of Power lock left and BFWD 3 quarters bottle left. If you would choose another sealant what would it be?:applause2:

2. JC98

JC98 Birth of a Detailer

I would stick with the PL.

3. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Prima Epic.

4. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

PL!!!!!!!!

5. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

I love powerlock and will be using forever.

6. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

MPL, but IW845 is BOMB too!

7. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

Never used PL but have used BFWD and absolutely love it.

8. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

my choices

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Collinite 845. Why? It outlasts power lock, which does looks good and is the EASIEST sealant to apply/remove, but I just wish it would be more durable...

10. LostHighway

LostHighway Jedi Nuba

I would be extremely interested in a chemist's classification of the various sealants on the market. My guess is that many of them are very similar in their basic formulas.
    My guess is that Optimum Opti-Seal is different from MPL & BFWD which seem like they might be chemical siblings or at least close cousins. In my experience Opti-Seal doesn't last quite as long as BFWD but seems to offer slightly better bug and bird bomb protection while it lasts. It looks and feels different from BFWD in my opinion.
    I have not personally tried Werkstat Acrylic Jett: Trigger or Ultima Paint Guard Plus but I'm curious about them if you want to be a pioneer and report back.

The "nano" sealants like AQuartz, G|Techniq C2, Wolf's Body Wrap, Nanolex Premium Paint Sealant, etc. might be another path to explore.

11. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Optimum Opti Seal can not get easier to apply looks great. Four Star UPP easy on and off, super slick, looks great, so far has been holding up well on a co-workers Rogue that gets ran through the tunnel wash at work quit often. Duragloss 501 cleans and protects, lasts a long time.

12. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Power Lock, no question about it.

13. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Virgin Detailer

There is absolutely no doubt that Collinite 845 is king!!

Great shine.

Very easy to use.

And most importantly, the MOST durable and long lasting.

14. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

But there's one thing I miss every time I use it. And that is supreme slickness from Power Lock or BFWD. Also it ruins foam pads over a while since its a serious solvent.

15. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I never really liked 845. Its hard to use and like Luke said lacks in slickness...

16. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

PL and BFWD is a toss up. On the plus side BFWD is polycharged, but does dust more than Power Lock..they are both great sealants.

17. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I have yet to try PL but would like to, but I have BFWD and love it I can cover an entire vehicle with 1 oz or less of product. I had 2 coats on my mustang gt and the protection lasted me 5 1/2 months in extreme heat and it stays outside 24/7, I am very pleased with it.

18. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

I would opt for another sealant, MPL and BFWD are just too close to call

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

that slickness will be gone after a couple of washes...

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Collinite 845 is nice, but Power Lock is nicer. Also, Collinite 845 isn't as easy to remove. Leave it on too long, and it's temperamental. Yes, it does last longer than Power Lock. But who cares? If you don't re-wax or re-seal at least once every two months, you should't be on this forum.