which pads to go with...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 99monguse, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

I'm going to be purchasing a new buffer and some pads. I have been using a Makita 9227 and have gotten some really good results but I'm going to increase my paint correction work, as most of my work is overall detailing on your standard clients vehicle, not a high-end car. I'm buying a FLEX DA, and a GRIOTS 3" and 6" and the PC. I've never used Lake Country pads.

What would some recommendations be to a guy adding more paint correction to his details? Do you guys have a LC pad/pads that you favor over another...there are the LC HYDRO, CCS, 6.5",5.5", and 4".

I have always cleand my pads by hand but like I mentioned, the work I have been doing 75% of the time isn't geared towards major paint correction because most people in my area aren't going to spend the money required for a multi-step paint correction; therefore, I think if you're doing paint correction then you need to either constantly clean your pads OR have several of the same pad in order to get the job done right and effectively. I will purchase either the GRIT GUARD UNIVERSAL PAD WASHER or multiples of each pad, obviously having more pads will be more time effective.

2. Trents_goat5.7

Trents_goat5.7 Jedi Nuba

I have both the LC hydro pads, and LC smart pads. I prefer the smart pads. You also may want to consider uber pads from DD. I have personally never tried them, but always heard great things about them.

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have used Lake Country Pads for years, and the L/C Flat Pads work best for me with a Rotary. They last a long time, and dont have issues, until they get too loaded up with crap and you have to change it out for a new/used, clean one.

I have also used the newer L/C Hydro Cyan and Tangerine Pads for over a year now, and they are really good at what they do, but with a Rotary, if they get too hot, they will start to separate, and eventually start breaking up into little tiny chunks of foam. This is with a Rotary only...

The advantages to the Hydro is that they have the ability to cut in their level really nice, and then finish down much better than say, a Flat L/C Orange Pad, White Pad.

They type of foam they are made of keeps the material on the surface longer, and is not so easily absorbed into the pad.

I also wash all my pads with a L/C Pad Washer and it really saves a ton of time. These Hydro Pads are more delicate so the Pad Washer can also hurt them if you press down too hard, too fast.

My overall experience with Lake Country Pads has been great. They are darn good, reliable, pads and I can get a pretty good price on them over the normal 9.99, 8.99, 7.99 sizes, going from largest to smallest.

I have used Snappy Clean exclusively with all my pads and it has proven to be a great pad cleaner and is made by L/C for their pads.. If you use this product by hand, i would recommend using some type of gloves, as it is very strong, and will remove all the oils out of your hands quickly..

Have not tried the Uber pads, and may have time to do so sometime this year. Another supporter of this Forum also is selling pads made my Menzerna, which I find intriguing as well..
    Good luck with your business !
    Dan F

4. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

I really like the Uber pads that I have (yellow, orange, green and blue). I'm a big of 5.5" pads and these have been successful for me thus far. I have the Meguiars SoftBuff pads and I am not a big fan. I have 5 LC CCS pads and they are quite nice.

Everyone has their own favorite I guess, Uber gets my vote though.

-Kody-

5. 99monguse

What buffers are you guys using these pads on? All my current pads are of the larger variety since I only use the makita 9227 but I'm thinking about going to a 5-6", even with a rotary, I think the pad may not skip around as much as it does with the larger pads.

6. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

I use my Uber pads on my Makita and PC (5.5"). I use the 4" Uber pads on my Makita, PC and Griots 3" polisher.

-Kody-

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I like to use the 5" pads whenever possible; I only step up to 6" pads when I have alot of flat panels, like a big truck, etc.. This is for my Rotary, Flex 3401VRG, and Meguiars G110V2.

You will need to get appropriate sized backing plates for all the sizes, all the Sponsors here sell them, as well as Lake Country's own version of backing plates.

I have never even thought about using the backing plate that came with my Makita 9227C, and doubt I ever would unless Im using it to grind down something wooden, etc...

The smaller 5" foam pads are way easier to control, clean, use less product, get into smaller spaces easier, than the 6" and bigger boys..

The trade off in having to buff longer with a slightly smaller pad, to me, is s small price that I dont mind paying, as the results are always better when you have absolute control of about the best all-around pad size - the 5" pad line..
    Dan F

8. Perfections

Perfections Birth of a Detailer

Happens with a griots d/a aswell :(

9. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Where can you obtain Uber pads? Do they make hem in 6.5" for my Flex 3401?

10. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

You can buy Uber Pads right here from Phil .
    Dan F

11. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I have a variety of LC (regular flat and CCS) pads and Uber pads. Going forward, I'm just buying Uber pads. I mainly use 5.5" and 6.5" with my Flex 3401. I started out doing a lot of my 1 steps with Uber orange and PowerFinish, but, as several others have pointed out, are rather stiff. Bought them before Phil came out with his yellow Uber pads. Picked up some yellow pads recently and do like their flexibility better than the orange. Recently used the yellow pads and 3M 3000 Rubbing Compound on a badly swirled car and the results were great. Left a little compounding haze and swirls, but was following up with Uber green pads and PowerFinish, and the car really turned out well. To be honest, it was probably some of the best results I ever produced.

Oh, I do have a double-secret probation BP for my 3401. Back when they first started coming out with the 3401, there were some issues with the original red BPs. I was able to get my grubbly little hands on a just over 5" BP for the 3401 which works well with 5.5" pads unless you start getting in tight areas.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

For a rotary get the LC Kompressor pads.

13. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

Any comments on the LC purple kompressor pads? Do they cut or finish any better than the LC PFW?

14. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

For heavy correction I would go with the PFW as the purple kompressor pad is pretty course.

15. 99monguse

I don't do much paint correction but plan on doing more. i only have a 9227 right now, but I buying a RO, either a PC or Griots (I can't make up my mind, any advice would be appreciated). What is your typical process on a non-paint correction exterior detail? I usually will run over the paint with a foam pad and 205, just to brighten the color and remove very light marring, but I think maybe using a Porter Cable or Griots will actually do better then my 9227.

My steps are:
    wash and strip any old LSP
    clay and re-wash
    dry, and use my electric leaf blower to get ALL water off/out of crevices
    run over paint with blue foam pad(8") using M205
    IPA wipedown
    LSP, usually 845

This is for details not requiring paint correction.

16. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

One thing to note is the Griots polisher has a bail style handle, and the pc uses a traditional angle grinder style handle.

I don't think you can beat the warranty on the Griots polisher.

I have an older model pc and a griots, as well as the flex ro. and a 9227.

I like the Griots best out of the ro polishers.

17. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

im with ya. Ive used the LC forever and they have been great. I too prefer the flat pads, but since ive beat them up so bad im ready for new ones. I have to give the hydro's a nice try. I also agree that sometimes the pads that are delicate break up into tiny foam pieces with my rotary. i reminded of rice checks, mini sized, lol.

5.5" is preferable to me as well.

18. MFE

MFE Virgin Detailer

I use LC flat pads and PFW, so far I have had no issues with them. I am interested in Meguiar's new DA microfiber system and will try it out when the weather gets warmer.

19. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I have only used Uber/B&S pads and they are great. I haven't felt the need to get different pads. I just got the Meg's MF pads that I will be trying out soon.