Which pads do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Bernhard, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Bernhard

Bernhard Birth of a Detailer

As the topic says, which pads do you prefer and why?
    I use Megs with Megs, Sonus with Menzerna and Scholl with Scholl..

2. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Personally i like the Lake Country CCS Pads and purple foamed wool....

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I like the non-ccs lake country pads.

I just got a bunch of 3M pads to try out though.

I also like pads smaller than 6"

4. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Let us know how it goes with the 3M pads. I was thinking about trying them too.

5. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I am an edge man, wool and waffle foam

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

LC and 3M foam pads and 3M wool pads.

7. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

bryanbestwax, Any problems with delamination with the edge pads?

8. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Edge doesn't have a velcro backing to delaminate.

9. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

aren't the pads glued together around the clipping mechanism?

10. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I've tried a variety of pads but I use pads in this order:
    1. 3M UK pads, just love the way they feel and how they perform.
    2. Sonus pads, I enjoy having the extra cushion/foam and depending on the clear coat they will finish off extremely well.
    3. Menzerna pads, they have a different feel to them but again depending on the clear coat they will perform quite well. Menzerna pads combined with Menzerna polish work magic..but just my opinion.
    4. Meg's pads, these pads have performed extremely well for me, no matter what polish you use they always deliver. Worthy of being the back up pads :thumb:

Well those are just some of my go to pads.

11. kav

kav Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great luck with lake counrty orange and white pads.

12. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

LC/Meg's. I've given up on Edge, they break everytime I use them and I've spent enough shipping fees to replace everything.

13. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Don't like the Lake Country CCS pads? And what type of 'clear coat' scenarios work well with what you have mentioned?

14. Nica

Nica Banned

I don't know but for me Lake Country just doesn’t cut it, but again that's just me, there is nothing wrong with Lake Country, I just prefer the 3M UK..ect..ect. Just personal preference that's all, I own a full set of Lake Country pads but they are just collecting dust :shrug:

As to what type of clear coat I'm referring too, well again this is just my opinion. But 3M UK pads I've found to work well with just about any kind of clear coat, soft to extremely hard. They just have a great feel to them and finish of extremely well, just love the blue Finishing pad :druling:

For me, the Sonus pads are best on Medium to Hard clear coat same for Menzerna. Menzerna pads have a different feel to them and take a bit to get used to them, they are extremely stiff, specially the Polishing pad, even the Finishing pad is quite stiff..so just takes a bit to get used to them.

The Meg's pad are quite good and can be used with just about any clear coat like the 3M UK pads, you don't have to spend allot of coin to get good pads. Meg’s pads will definitely get the job done, I just prefer the 3M UK pads because of the way they feel. Much softer then the Meg’s pads. Meg’s pads are great pads definitely a :thumb: up for them.

I hope this helps, but just my :2cents:

15. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

What would be a good, safe cutting pad for the rotary? The LC CCS Orange and Yellow, which I've been using seem like they would be burn/hologram city, especially for a newb with a rotary like me.

I am going to pick up a few wool pads, but what would be a nice cutting pad for paints that need an agressive foam, but not quite a wool?

16. Nica

Nica Banned

Well to be honest I've had great success with Meg's cutting pad..I beleave it's the maroon colour (dark redish one). Has a great bite partnered up with Menzerna Power Gloss. Best of all the pad is quite soft and forgiving around edges.

The 3M UK Compounding pad packs a good bite as well, it's a bit stiffer but surprisingly it's quite forgiving around edges as well. I enjoy using this pad.

Sonus is good too when it comes to compounding..so many pads so little time :shakehead:

But you'll love wool, wool pads do an incredable job at flatening down the paint best of all hardly any heat. 3M US makes some good cutting/compouding wool pads...I've got a few of them just can't remember the number of the top of my head.

Menzerna has a wicked wool pad too, what's a bonus is that the wool pad is 6inches :thumb: I prefer smaller pads.

Meg's makes some reasonable wool pads, but the one I have is a twisted wool type and I don't really like that, leaves too many buffer marks and depending on the clear coat can take some work to remove, so I don't use it any more.

17. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I love to use Sonus pads and Scholl pads! Also some 3M pads.

18. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

i hate how hard the ccs pads are...the orange is like an old sponge...hate ccs pads....love megs pads

19. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Lol I know. Plus they will start breaking apart around the little polish holder dots (which are completely useless) and start spitting out chunks of pad when you hit something like the windshield or headlight washer fluid sprayers. The CCS white pads, however, I like a lot.

For wool, I'm definitely picking up a few purple foamed wool pads. The sonus pads seem to get good reviews around here, and the 3M pads look promising. Too bad I don't have the money to order anything right now, it sucks getting a rotary and not being able to use it.

20. DetailAddict

DetailAddict Two Bucket System Washer

i've been using ccs lc pads... but i am looking into picking up some 3m uk pads. :)