Which pad has more cut?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by sikedsyko, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

I have a customer that took it upon himself to do a little wetsanding with 3k grit and wants me to take it out. I know most people only recommend a rotary for removing wetsanding, but all I have is a 7424xp. Currently the highest cutting pad I have is the Uber Orange pad and I know for a fact it won't take out 3k grit without more passes than I care to make.

I'm debating on picking up either the Uber Yellow Pad, Suburf Microfingers, or the Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool pad. Which one do ya'll think will be best for removing this. It's on a black 2003 Ford Mustang.

Please and thank you!

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

most aggressive to least

lc purple --->surbuf---> uber yellow

3. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

If you end up going with the PFW, let me know how it went! I have one but have not used it yet.

4. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

Do you think the lc Purple will take it out on the PC with Power Gloss?

Will do man, hopefully I'll put the order in by today and I'll post a review as soon as I get it.

5. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Would you say Meguiar's DA Cutting Disc fits in between the Surbuf and Uber Yellow Phil?

6. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

yup

wool --> surbuf --.>meg's da cutting --> uber yellow foam pad

7. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I have some Uber Yellow Pads if you'd like to try one? I'm local too.

8. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Does LC purple mean purple foam wool? LC Kompressor has a purple foam pad. In any event do you still rate the LC purple more aggressive then the Surbuf?

9. Chaseme

Purple wool. No foam pad can cut that much.

10. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

So does it cut more than a Surbuf?

11. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

surbuff and 3m rubbing compound the kind they sell in autoparts stores will remove it for certain... i just dealt with the same thing

12. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

what type of car and color

13. Chaseme

Phil says it does. I have no experience with the LC Purple nor the Surbuf (which I just purchased).

14. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

The Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pad and Meguiars 105 for example will cut down anything including badly damaged airplane paint, and the delicate Lexus black paint using a Rotary. Have done it exactly this way on many other paints and the PFW never fails.

The Surbuf pads were originally designed for wood, I have not used them because I dont need to, so cant speak to them. From what I read, they do work but you have to go back and remove the marring they leave.

PFW can finish down pretty darn good with a Rotary in experienced hands. Meguiars 205 will totally enhance what properly finished down 105 did with PFW. I have a few Jet Black Bimmers on my website that got this technique and an older 911 Targa if you want to see how good the PFW works.

I would have to think it will work about as good with a Random Orbital, but may take a lot longer since you need rotation..

Good luck with this.
    Dan F