Which menzerna po106ff or po85rd?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Truels2, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Truels2

Truels2 Virgin Detailer

Out of the 106ff and po85rd in which steps should they be used? Which should be the true finishing polish with a white pad and which should be used for more aggressive swirling and scratchs? Currently i only have the po106ff and been using it for a finish polish but im confused cause it seams the 85rd might work better as the finish polish? Any help here thanks!

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

106ff is a bit more aggressive (but still not much), so RD will finish better, especially with a finishing pad. Personally, I prefer Micro Polish as a finishing polish, IMO it brings out more gloss as it is the least aggressive of all the Menzerna Polishes.

3. LanceM

LanceM DB Forum Supporter

i like rd better

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Both are finishing polishes although 106FF has a bit more cut and can be used with a white or green pad to do light correction work. PO85RD does give quite a bit more shine but is strictly a finishing polish and should only be used with a black or blue pad.

5. Truels2

Truels2 Virgin Detailer

Could you use 106ff with an orange pad and finish with the 85 on liek a white or grey pad? Will this combo work.

6. 911Fanatic

106FF doesn't have enough cut to remove heavy swirling. It is after all a finishing polish. I would pick up some SIP to add to your arsenal.
    Try 106FF on green or white first. If that doesn't work, SIP on green or white. If that works, I would then finish with 85RD on blue or black. If not. SIP on orange, then 106FF on Green or white to remove any hologramming and then finish with 85RD on blue or black. I always use green instead of white. The green pads were made specifically to work with Menz polishes. They have 20% more cut and finish down better. It seems like alot of work but doing it properly is alot of work and the results are worth it.

7. Truels2

Truels2 Virgin Detailer

sweet thanks.

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great advice

9. richy

richy Guest

I did not know that about the green pads, thanks!

10. Truels2

Truels2 Virgin Detailer

were is the best place to pick up some blue/green and black 5.5 inch pad's? And the cheapest place to purchase SIP and the 85rd? Any ideas? Also my vehicle is in damn good shape so im thinking i could eliminate the 106ff totally and go with the Sip on a green pad then finish off with the 85rd on a black pad how does that sound? or should i be finishing with a blue pad?

11. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

The green pads that are made to work with Menz are the german green pads. There are LC Green and LC "German" Green. I think you can only find the "German" ones at CMA.

CCS Technology, German Polishing Pads

12. vrwm

vrwm Jedi Nuba

Assuming you are in the U.S. Hit up Detailers Domain, He has everything you want + more, and he's having a 20% off sale for labor day. If not:sorry:

13. Truels2

Truels2 Virgin Detailer

So ill be fine using the SIP on a white pad and finishing with the 85rd on a black pad?

14. Mindflux

I don't see why not. Pads really don't care what you use them with but it can be about finding the right combination of pad and product.

Remember this:

When trying to polish your car try to start with the least abrasive product and pad combination you think will work.

If you think a white pad and SIP will work, give it a go. If it's not doing the job step it up to an orange pad and SIP.

15. SuperBee364

SuperBee364 Birth of a Detailer

Yeah, and if you're not getting enough working time out of the SIP, try mixing in a few drops of 106 or 85RD. Not too much, or it'll reduce the SIP's cut.

Where I'm at, it's so hot and dry that SIP is pretty much unusable without adding some 106 to it. It dries/flashes in less than 30 seconds. SIP will leave a very nice finish if you can get enough working time out of it to properly break it down. It can leave some mild swirls and compounding haze on softer clears if it's not broken down well enough.

Hmm.. mixing products to achieve better results... whodathunkit, and why do I have this sudden craving for chocolate milk??

16. Mindflux

Sure does taste good! Dang I think I ran out of cocoa powder after making that tutorial. :D

17. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Thats interesting. Ive used SIP in 90*+ temps without any issues.

18. 911Fanatic

I agree. The black GTi I recently posted was done with SIP on a day where the temp IN my friends shop was 32 celcius.

19. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Same here, never had an issue either, I guess it is all in your technique.

20. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

+1 Although I have very high humidity here.