Which compound?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by milabfocker, Dec 26, 2008.

1. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I need to purchase a new compound and three come to mind: MarkV MV 350 Qwik Kut, 3M 06060 Perfect It III Extra Cut Rubbing Compound, and 3M 50417 Fast Cut Plus (3M Europe). I've went through a quart of 3M 05933 Perfect It III Rubbing Compound and Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound. I like the 3M Perfect It III Rubbing Compound; however, it has proven to be ineffective in terms of defect removal on high solids, low VOC paints and dusts pretty bad. I didn't care for Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound; it flashes to fast for my taste. This made it difficult to spread evenly and I don't care to spritz my pad every couple passes. I'm looking for a compound which offers a good work time and doesn't dust excessively.

2. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

have you considered menz powergloss?

3. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I've considered it; however, I'm looking for a compound which doesn't dust excessively. I've read several reviews on Menzerna's Power Gloss which all assign it poor marks in terms of dust.

4. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hi milabfocker, I don't have any problem With excessive dust with Power Gloss. It might be to weak for what you just explained

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

yeah i haven't really had that much of a problem with dusting in regards to the powergloss. nothing irregular i guess you would say...

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

PG dusts like no other from my experience. I really like 3M extra cut. What is your method for using 105?

7. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Meg's is coming out with a new 105.Supposed to let you work longer.FYI.

8. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I thoroughly shake the container, apply a 2-3" bead of product to the finish, manually spread the product, make one pass at 600RPM to ensure even product application, immediately increase RPMs to 1500, proceed to cut until the product flashes, spritz the pad with Meguiar's Last Touch quick detailer, and continue to cut until the product flashes a second time. I don't contest this product's ability to remove defects; rather, I believe it is more trouble than it worth provided other compounds offer similar benefits using a conventional cutting technique.

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Try using more product, that should help. A couple other forum members had the same problem and I suggest that use a little more and that solved their problem.

10. D&D Auto Detailing

Try starting at 1200- 1500rpm, dont spread it, and use more product. Dont use QD or anything. Let me know how that works.

11. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

That suggests Meguiars is aware the current M105 needs improvement. I thought Meguiar's M95 was supposed to be M105's conventional counterpart? I'm not intimately familiar with M95; however, I understand it utilizes super micro-abrasive technology and is slightly less aggressive. I know your a Meguiars fan and figure you might share insight concerning contrasts amongst these products. I appreciate the heads up.

I've already made adjustments in an endeavor to increase product work time. I've experimented with product amount, pass rate, surface area, and compounding medium. I even called Meguiar's Mike Phillips to discuss optimal use of this product. I'm left with the assumption this product doesn't suit my preferences. None the less, I appreciate the input.

12. Nica

Nica Banned

I like Power Gloss, but for me it tends to dust quite a bit, I personaly don't mind the dust, I mean it dosen't bother me. Power Gloss is strong but I also like using the 3M UK Perfect-it III Fast Cut Plus Compound (50417) or 3M UK Perfect-it III Extra Fine Compound (80349). Partner these compunds with a wool pad and you achive great results, keep in mind that you would have to follow up with at least a second or even a third polishing step to remove any holograms left from the compound.

But that's just my opinion, oh I also find that the 3M UK products dust abit less compared to Menzerna Power Gloss but that's just my opinion.

13. blk45

blk45 Jedi Nuba

Dan is correct. You don't "spread" it. Start at 1500 and have at it.

It may not be for you, but when used properly, it's very hard to beat the results it provides and the time it saves. Good luck with the hunt. I agree about PG dusting.

14. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I've still got a few ounces of Meguiar's M105; I'll have to employ the techniques mentioned. Maybe it will influence my opinion concerning this product? Does anyone use MarkV MV 350 Qwik Kut? How does 3M Fast Cut Plus and 3M Extra Cut fair in terms of dust and work time?

15. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The 3m stuff is great, I feel M105 is better though. Give it one more try with the help offered before throwing in the towel. If you do feel like you and M105 won't get along 3M wouldn't be a bad second choice. I would take those over PowerGloss.

16. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

2 passes with M105/Wool, no luck... - Autopia.org Post 16 is where it gets good.

M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

Here's a couple threads on both products.I have never used M95 so I can't help you there.:sorry:Hope this helps.

17. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

My vote is for M95..great product, low dusting and aggressive cut and conventional working time..you wont be disappointed...and CHEAP!

18. D&D Auto Detailing

3M Extra Cut has a much longer working time than M105, it does not dust much either. I havent use M95, but based on J Bells findings, it sounds similar to 3M EC.

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I noticed alot of guys have a problem with Powergloss dusting. I had the same problem so I started running the polisher a little slower ( 1000 - 1200rpm ) and found that by doing so, the polish wouldn't dry out so fast thus creating less dust.

20. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

Wish I had read that about a few hours ago. I was trying some PG with my Flex rotary running it at about 1500 rpm and there was a small dust cloud over the trunk of that G35 I'm doing. Said screw and retreated back to 2 passes of SIP, which will be followed by Power Finish on the Flex 3401.