Where to buy IPA? Cheapest place?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Kaban, May 13, 2011.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hey guys,

I wanna try doing an IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol 70%) wipedown next time I polish to remove all the polish residue. I have never done this before.

Where do you but this stuff? Do places like Walmart have it?

Once you buy it do you dilute it 50/50 with water or do you use it straight out of the bottle?

Any tips or suggestion are very kindly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

CVS..... its always on sale, costco too

3. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Like Kilo said.... COSTCO

4. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

Walgreens, sams club, costco, CVS

5. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

i got 2 bottle for 2 dollars at walgreens...it was 70% ipa. And i dilluted it with water. I tried to keep it more ipa than water this time i made a bottle because too much water doesnt wipe down too nice.

I had made a bottle with more water, and it was hard to wipe down the panel after finishing, it leaves marks. More IPA means the panel wipes really easily because it dries really fast.

6. Kaban

Thanks guys!

So how big are the bottles that they come in at CVS or Walgreens (I don't have a Costco or Sam's Club membership).

Should I dilute this stuff half and half with water?

7. Kaban

Also, do you guys apply the panel with IPA right after you polished it or do you polish the whole car and after the final rinse/wash when you dry the car again you pull it in the shop and do an IPA wipedown on the entire car at once before applying a wax or sealant?

8. pecka13

You do ipa wipedowns to check yoir work to see if you need to keep polishing. And then also you can use it before you apply a wax or sealant to make sure there are no oils on the paints

9. pecka13

And the bottles are not huge but they are enough. Its a bottle a little smaller than hydrogen peroxide you used when you scraped your knee as a kid.
    Its just like rubbing alcohol. Thats what it looks like.
    Dont use straight ipa, dilute with water just not too much cause then it loses its value, it will not wipe down thr panels as well as a stronger ipa to water solution would.

Honestly I discovered this a few months ago, and its one of the best things you could do in a detail. Do ipa wipedowns. You wont go back.

10. Kaban

THANKS guys!

Just an update:

I went to my corner Walgreens and the prices for Isopropyl were as follows:

$2.79 for 32oz. of 70% IPA...... this was on sale at $2.19/ea. or 2/$3 (So you get 64oz. of it for $3.05 after tax.) I bought two and was happy.

$2.99 for 32oz. of 91% IPA

I didn't see any 50% IPA, maybe it was there but I didn't care to look closely enough.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

sounds about right.......CVS had 32 0z for like 1.60 and if you have a membership card it was 15% off last week or something like that. IPA is cheap no matter where you get it.