Where does Meg's 205 sit?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by JoeyV, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I used to use Menzerna Powergloss, Intensive Polish and Micro Polish, but I switched over to the Meg's 105 for compound and the Micro Polish is discontinued (replaced by PF1000 or something like that) I really like the 105 and know that the 205 is essentially the combo maker. I just wanted to know where it sat on the scale. More towards the Intensive polish (middle) or Micro Polish (finishing)?

Also, what's the difference between the 105 and 95? They both have the arrow going up to the same level and both have the same sand paper grit removal level.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

On a shelf.

3. JoeyV

lol, smartass! :lol:

4. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

From most to least aggressive,
    • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
    • Ultimate Compound
    • ScratchX 2.0
    • SwirlX
    • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
    • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
    • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)
    [​IMG]

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

M205 is a strange polish to describe because its all really dependent on which pad your using it with. M205 on black foam is a great finishing polish (for harder clears) yet if you use it with an MF cutting disc of light cutting pad you will see moderate to high level correction.

I'd place its between 106FA superfinish and 203s Powerfinish. But thats just me.

6. JoeyV

I did a search and found a chart on another forum. Turns out the 205 is more of a final polish with a black pad (what I intend to use it with most of the time). I'm also going to get the #83 as a medium polish.

thanks

7. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

ARGH! you beat me to it LOL

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I thought the same thing. You beat me to it.

9. mikenap

mikenap Jedi Nuba

Personally, I'd skip M83. I'd try M86 or even Ultimate Compound (very good, pad-dependent polish/compound) in their OTC line if you want a good Meguiar's medium polish. Or take Dave's suggestion and use 205 with a stronger pad.

10. JoeyV

If 205 really is THAT pad dependent then I'll give that a try before spending another $20 or so on the 83. Thanks.

11. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I just bought some 85rd and 203. M205 is in between 106 and 203 ;)
    I see Dave said the same thing lol

12. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

I have tried 205 and 105 there almost seems too big of a jump for me, it takes me multiple passes with 205 to remove the 105 haze if that makes any sense. When the 205 is gone I think I will be going back to Menz

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

105, 203 and 85RD. Done.

14. JoeyV

Actually Ken, the reason I'm looking at the 205 is because I am a little unhappy with Menz's stuff at the moment. 1) they've discontinued what I've learned to work with and that took quite a bit of effort considering when I tried 105 for the first time it was really easy to learn to work with and 2) even though I've learned to work with them, they still are a little bit annoying in general to work with. Again, when I tried 105 it was just magical lol. Anyways, I'm still making up my mind. I'll be sending you a PM shortly Ken.

pingapoke - I've never had issues removing haze from 105...in fact I barely get any. the little bit I do have is easily taken care of with the Intensive Polish I've been using.

15. piginapoke

The 105 works really well, its a little dusty but nothings perfect. 105 looks good under regular lighting conditions but the LED light brings out every little haze mark, then I am having to make two to three passes with 205 on a green pad and one to two passes with 85rd on a blue pad, but then again maybe I don't know what I am doing.

16. JoeyV

Are you using a rotary or DA/PC?

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Thats the upside with 105. It cuts soooo well and finishes down well. It leaves a wee bit of haze but I've never had a problem cleaning it up with 203. I use it on my DA with the Uber/B&S Yellow and can one step it on most paints. I haven't had a chance to try the newer version of 203 yet, but I'm sure it would be able to take of things. The other option is Scholl S17. Almost identical to the original Power Finish. Keep it simple my friend. If you have 105 already, Grab a sample of the newer 203 from someone and give it a go.

18. piginapoke

porter cable pc

19. JoeyV

^Might be why we get different results. I use it with a rotary.