Where do you guys get your wool pads?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Nikku, May 23, 2009.

1. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

So as the thread states where do you lovely people acquire from wool pads?

I want to give a few a try. I've tried the LC purp but I want to try others.

Thanks in advance.

2. richy

richy Guest

I just responded in your Z post about wool pads...glad to hear you want to try them. I would suggest 2 for your arsenal...pfw and a black Megs wool. With the strength of Megs 105 or Menz PG, you really won't need an old fashioned thick white wool pad...besides, the mess they make is not worth it, IMO.

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I use the 3M wool pads.

4. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've got the Meguiar's Solo wool pads. I bought them at a body shop supply store.

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I currently have the PFW and Edge wool pads that I can't remember exactly where I purchased them. I'll be moving to the Micro-Surface Tuf Buf almost exclusively but I still want to try out the 3M ones that Dana uses and the Meg's wool pads.

6. scottBT

scottBT Birth of a Detailer

i get mine from autoshine car care .com in the uk.
    the guys name is tony spears, great chap and a very good detailer.
    ex swissvax instructor of 15 years, knows his stuff and the pads arent that expensive.
    the meguirs solo wool pads i have to say are slowly drawing me in as there perfectly centred and the + with the solo's is there is different grades of wool!
    check out mr rubbish boys also as he has wool heads which look quiet good:thumb:

7. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Right now I have PFW and the Megs so1o Wool pads. But like Denzil, I plan on going to all TufBuf, and just keep my Megs burgundy for the heavy hitting.

8. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Thanks for all the info guys. So the only wool i've tried is the PFW by LC and I did find it good although I find that it cakes up really quickly. I guess I could spur.

So how would you guys rank the aggresiveness of the different pads for wool.

BTW what do you guys recommend to replace Menz PG? I find it too thick. I want something smoother.

Again thanks for the help. :)

9. scottBT

scottBT Birth of a Detailer

spurring does help just dont get to angry with it or you will kill the wool.
    as for wanting a smoother polish i use the menz power gloss ( not a lot ) and mix with intensive as this is less aggressive and more lubricated.:thumb:

10. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Is there an alternate from like Megs? Or a diff brand? I've used PG with OPT Polish as OPT seems to go on forever.

Thanks for the info Scott :)

11. richy

richy Guest

As you know, you can step up a pad (ie to wool) and then use a less aggressive compound. If the finish needs correction, but not brutal, I like to use a pfw pad with UCCL...that's by Presta and not many guys on here use it, but it's great, IMO. Just make sure you spur often and if the paint is dirty, you will find you will need to clean the pad with APC every few panels. It is worth the effort to do so. Just spin it dry and Bob's your uncle. SIP is also a good alternative.

12. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

thanks for the info richy. Mucho Gracias.

So if you used say PFW with Menz PF how does it finish off?

Would the cutting power be greater than say SIP with Yellow compounding pad?

Hazy or can you jump straight to a final polish?

13. richy

richy Guest

It finishes off better than you'd think, although once again, good technique is going to make a massive difference. I don't like using yellow compounding pads as they generate a lot of heat...the advantage of pfw is low heat by comparison. Would the cutting power be greater with pfw than the yellow: yes it would. I generally follow my compounding with 85rd or 106 with a black or blue pad for a fantastic finish. Here's a few examples that I will show you just for illustrative purposes:
    Caddy
    G37 using fw and X3
    Sebring with either X3 or 105
    Hope that helps illustrate the different approaches you can take.