When is using a QD appropriate?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by bonehead, Nov 3, 2011.

1. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Was going through my detailing supply inventory in my head, figuring out if I needed to buy more stuff soon. I realized that I haven't used any QD in a long time. Why? Well, if my car moves anywhere further than the garage, I feel it's picked up enough dirt/dust to make it unsafe for the paint to just spray and wipe. If it's full on dirty, then I'm going to wash and wax. The only time where I could see a QD become useful is if my car has been sitting in the garage collecting a thin layer of dust. But my 'fun' car has a cover, so that's never an issue.

So, when do you use a QD? Am I being to anal about not wanting to wipe down a car after a short drive?

2. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

Drying aid, or when I need to remove fresh bird crap from my paint... Yes I carry QD and towels with me in the trunk AT ALL TIMES lol

3. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Ah, the birdpoop. I guess that would be a good one. Fortunately, I haven't had any avian nastiness on my cars in a while.

I dry my car with a MetroVac. Less contact the better.

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I have gone as far as 3 days of driving as long as it didnt see any rain I am good and my mustang gt is black. I use Prima Slick in a Kwazar Mercury Pro and deep nap microfibers from CG and DI as well a wool duster prior to quick detailing to get the job done safely. Slick also states it repels dust and I have to say that it actually does work very well at repelling dust particles, better than any quick detailer I have used.

5. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Wow, brave man. My car is black too, which is why I'm super anal about how it's cleaned. But then that leaves the wheels. Just wiping those down isn't sufficient. My brakes generate a tremendous amount of dust, not only on the spokes but very visibly in the barrels. Can't leave those dirty with the rest of the car all shiny. Don't see any way to get those clean other than a wash. And if I'm gonna wash the wheels, may as well wash the whole car.

6. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

I bought a gallon of QD a year ago and I have yet to open it. I stopped using QD since all I do is pressure wash my car every week and blowdry it. This will change though since winter is coming up.

7. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Exactly! With all the setup required to hook up my CRSpotless and pressure washer, it may be easier/faster for me to bust out some QD and wipe the car down. But the thought of rubbing in contamination/dirt with some spray and a MF just goes contrary to everything I've learned about paint care.

8. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

i carry Opti clean and some MF towels in my cars.......... you never know.

9. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Invest in a wheel sealant like Wolfs Chemicals Nano Rim Sealant then you will see less brake dust on them man. You then can use Adams Waterless Wash on them. The wool duster really helps out the most. I have to say it removes the majority of dust from the surface safely without marring since the particles get encapsulated in the wool fibers just like when washing with a wool mitt. It makes it alot easier for you to quick detail it after because the amount of dust left after is minimal. Just wash your wool duster by hand after with some dawn and spin it to remove the excess water then let it air dry indoors and its ready to go again for the next time.

10. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

I don't like wiping a car down with QD after driving it. Better to do a wash then.

That said, I tend to have a bit of ONR mixed with demineralized water and deep pile MFs ready for bird droppings, large bugs etc.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

11. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

That's good to know. I just put Prima HydroSeal on both our cars & am wanting a QD to use. Nick at Prima here in Denver recommended the Slick so I'll go with that after reading your experience. It costs about the same as others & I think there's something to be said about using products from one brand with each other. Which wool duster do you use? Thanks Danny.

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I can honestly say its the best quick detailer. I have purchased and have tired several quality detailers but Slick is easy to use clean well leaves a slick surface and replels dust, it also has a nice clean scent to it and a little goes a long way. I use the woolshop original first wool duster its a 36" handle one its great for reaching across the hoods and roofs easily. JL recommend it to me and its a fraction of the cost of the zymol and is the same thing I now own two:)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk