WHen is it too cold to polish?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by imaj, Jan 8, 2011.

1. imaj

imaj Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Just wondering if polishes stop breaking down because of weather?

Also, I have been researching wet sanding. A lot of people on certain sites say you must use a paint gauge...yet, I never see a number that the paint must be at in order to work on it.

OIne last question...When you folks polish a car, do you wipe off each stage of polish or do layer the different polishes over the other?

Thanks!

2. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

I use mainly Menzerna polishes which are probably some of the most weather dependent polishes out there. Most of them should have an operating temperature range on the bottle. I believe PowerFinish is minim 50 degrees F. I did a black Infiniti G35S over Xmas break where it was in the 20s and 30s out side. I recently insulated my garage door and ran a space heater out there, along with the halogens. I would wait until it got a few degress above 50 before firing things up. I also used 3M 3000 rubbing compound exentinsvely during this detail and it did not seem as tempermental as Menz PowerGloss with the colder temp in my garage. PowerFinish worked fine in the mid to high 50s.

As for wet sanding, haven't done much in that area.

When doing multiple stages of polishing, you wipe before doing anymore polishing to the same section.

3. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I don't use a gauge (can't afford it right now)...but from what I've seen people are hesitant to work on anything under 100 microns.