when do you wash?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by cleanfiend, Aug 28, 2010.

1. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

i was debating whether to wash my car tonight, but it felt weird because i usually try to wash early morning. So, this brought up this question: What time of day do you guys like to wash your car? im talking normal wash, no correction or polishing of any kind (2bm of course :thumb:).

as you may have been able to figure out, i like to wash in the mornings before the sun has a chance to heat everything up. another plus is that you can drive around right when your car is looking its best!

2. sulla

sulla Virgin Detailer

Early morning is best for me boost my confidence driving a clean car to work...

If I'm going to polish the car the next day then I'll wash and clay the night before

3. blacK20

blacK20 Birth of a Detailer

I usually wash in the evening when the sun starts to slow down a bit. I'm totally not a morning person.

4. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

For my own vehicles i wash in the morning usually so I can be free for the rest of the day and/or enjoy driving a clean car. For customers it's kinda based on when I get the car. If I get the car in the evening for a correction the next day I usually try to knock out the wash that evening just so I have one less thing to do the next day. With all that said it's always either before the midday sun or after it, never in the middle of the day.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

In the mornings on the weekends. Great way to start the day, and it will work up a good hunger for lunch.

6. cleanfiend

cleanfiend Jedi Nuba

haha. it really does. i eat so much after washing my car

7. Nugget69

Nugget69 Virgin Detailer

LOL whenever time permits usually.....accept in the heat of the day. So I guess thats either early morning or late afternoon.

I really do prefer early morning like has been said above....nice to drive a sparkling car around for the day.

cheers

Damo

8. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

once a week if i can.......it usually only takes a few hours after washing before i want to try some other new QD or wax

i wash indoors anytime of the day, im lucky enough to have access to my dad's warehouse where he stores his cars and it has a wash bay, otherwise ill wash at my parents place in their undercover courtyard

i live in an apartment so only ever ONR my car at home during summer

9. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I usually wash in the morning because I am a morning person. If wash in evening I wait until the sun goes behind some trees and a bit cooler so usually not as much light as the morning.

10. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I like the post-4PM wash time. Sometimes I'll push it and watch the sunset down here at the shore while doing it. Very relaxing.

11. SeanHfx

SeanHfx Virgin Detailer

I would like to wash in the morning but because of the sun, I wash after 4pm ish when I have shade in the driveway. I hate washing the car in the sun and so many people do it.

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Early morning or really late in the afternoon.

13. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Same here !!

14. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

My driveway gets full sun from early morning till late afternoon. After 4pm for me....

15. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I prefer to wash my car in the evening. Simply because I like to have a beer and cigar during the wash (and a whiskey afterwards), and I have a firm stance against any type of drinking and driving (I have been busted 3 times for dwi. NOT fun. Or cheap.). And I refuse to smoke in my car - especially a cigar.

Plus, my kid normally takes a nap between 5pm and 8pm. He's bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7 am. I am not getting up earlier than that to wash the car. Plus, it's an extra chore to dry in the early morning around here lately because of the humidity. I have to wait until at least 9am to QD the car.

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

early in the morning, or late in the evening.

17. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I do not see many takers for noon in the sun on a very hot day....There must be someone doing it.

18. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I did it once this year when detailing a black car. Didn't get water spots but had heat exhaustion. I wouldn't recommend.

19. MINIz guy

MINIz guy Two Bucket System Washer

As a student, I can only wash whenever I get the chance to!

Today, I started at 11AM (after soccer practice) doing small things like wheels, door jambs and the engine. Took a break for lunch and resumed the 2BM after 12PM. After that, I brought the car into the garage for drying, treating the plastics/rubber, quick touch-up paint, polish and a sealant. I was getting ready for a car meet, so that's why I was so thorough. On regular days, I would still start around the same times and finish around 1PM after waxing/sealing.

20. Red Orc

Red Orc Birth of a Detailer

I wash on my days off usually between 5AM & 9AM depending on the weather (The hotter it's supposed to be the earlier I try to wash it).