When do you know to polish a windshield?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by cptzippy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Just what it says above.

2. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I know to do it when I'm degreasing a car and can clearly see that there is water staining and etching in the glass.

[​IMG]

3. amercour

amercour Birth of a Detailer

What is your method for polishing the glass?

4. JoeyV

Glass polish (I have DP and AutoGlym) on a flat Lake Country orange pad. Polish until it's clean, and don't be afraid of putting pressure, it's glass, not paint.

5. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

so those fancy glass pads that LC sell aren't needed? Good to know if so.

6. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

Is it necessary to use a dedicated glass polish? What if the defects aren't being removed? Would you bump up to something like M105 and change pads for maximum cut?

7. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

I've read that since glass is harder than paint that dedicated glass polish is the way to go. Never read anything about the pads though.

8. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

How about using something like Megs 105 with a flat Lake Country orange pad on a test spot?

9. LukeF

LukeF Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have done that before with a Cyan pad and M105.

Works very well for very minor correction. :shead:

Meaning, it didn't remove scratches but it removed some water spots/staining and increased the beading properties of the bare glass.

10. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Really good to know. Thanks.

11. JoeyV

I've never tried anything other than glass polish on glass. So I couldn't say, but I would assume that it would be just as effective since glass is very hard and it will be virtually impossible to actually get scratches out. Polishing glass is mostly done to get water etching and stains out.

To get rid of the scratches, I use a glaze and it hides the swirls and scratches that I left behind, before applying Aquapel or Rain-X. Let's see who catches this one. lol

12. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Those flat glass pads that LC sells are very aggressive. Just remove the waterspots/staining with an orange pad. Doing corrective polishing on glass is a bitch. There is a good reason the glass replacement companies don't offer it. It is quicker and cheaper for them to replace it.

13. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Griots sells glass pads and polish.

14. James_1982

James_1982 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Will polishing the windshield help remove some of the 'sand blasted' look when in direct sunlight?

15. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I have had good results with Zaino Glass Polish,does an outstanding job...........

16. JoeyV

Depending on how light it is, maybe. In general, the sand blasted look is a clear sign you need a good windshield change. Even if it helped, the $300 it costs to get a new windshield isn't that bad....and they normally come with a warranty.

17. James_1982

James_1982 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks JoeyV, I had a few people asking me if I can polish their windshield to get rid of the marks but I have never tried it because I did not want to be on the hook for a new windshield. I might try it on one of my own vehicles as it sounds like it should be safe provided I use light pads/compounds.

18. Daydream Believer

Daydream Believer Birth of a Detailer

good info considering my glass has some good etching when i started on my DD this past weekend. im gunna have to invest in some glass polish to see if it works

19. JoeyV

I actually had a client come in last night for the sand blasting effect you're mentioning. I told him that the chances of it actually working were very slim and that if I could not get anything done, I wouldn't charge him. After heavy compounding with a flat orange pad, nothing, even with Megs 105. Nothing. We came to the conclusion that he needs a new windshield.

Here is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

If your windshield looks anything like this, chances are you won't be able to bring it back. Less time consuming to just get it replaced.

20. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

FYI, sometimes your insurance will cover a new windshield