Wheels with plasti dip

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by RekeHavoc, Apr 3, 2013.

1. RekeHavoc

RekeHavoc Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I just recently got black rims on my car and the center caps were chrome so i decided to plasti dip them and it turned out looking amazing! My question now thou is whether i can still use wheel cleaners like sonax and other brands. Will i have to stay away from them or..? Hopefully someone who is familiar with plasti dip and wheel cleaners can chime in on this :D

Thanks

2. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

Sonax is probably a bad idea, TBH i think it would probably take it off. Plasti-dip itself is non stick, so as along as you clean it regularly and dont let the gunk build up, soap and water should do fine.

3. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

soap and water would work perfectly. Don't grab for the Sonax, I almost did out of my natural process when I had mine dipped and held my self back right when I was about to pull the trigger haha. Soap and water and regular maintenance will keep them looking great.

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I have quite a few parts plasti dipped, and I did a set of wheels on a buddies car. He uses Chemical Guys Citrus Wheel gel, no issues. Ive also used Zeps APC 3:1 no issues. but like any product dont let it dry, its a very very durable product. best part is if you damage it, peel it off and re do it.

5. RekeHavoc

Thanks for the input guys!

Either way ill have to use sonax sooner or later, the condition i got the rims in is horrible! There is gunk and break dust everywhere! Good thing is the center caps are not a pain in the @ss to remove so ill just take them off when ill be doing a full clean and detail of the rims.

6. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Mild wheel cleaners will do. If you are worried, you can also consider getting BDP (brake dust pro) wheel cleaner available on DipYourCar.com for like $20 (32oz) which will have similar effects to Sonax/Iron-X by turning purple, but it is Plasti-Dip safe. Video:

Brake Dust Pro on MATTE white Plasti Dip - YouTube

7. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

Your plastidipped wheels will not even get dirty. They look matte anyways.

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Soap and water should do it. And if doesn't, use sonax full effect, and then reseal.

9. RekeHavoc

Well only my center caps are plasti dipped, the rim itself is a gloss black finish. What can i use to seal my rims? powerlock is the only thing i have on me for now.

10. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Soap and Water like everyone states, but I had a client with really dirty plasti-dipped rims so I safely used AG CWC but noticed that I couldn't scrub too hard with the wheel woolies.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

and remember its plasti dip, you damage it just re spray. That is the bonus of plastidip