Wheel Wells with Nap??? WTF!!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

This Mazda 6 I did today had wheel wells that were not the typical smooth hard plastic. It was furry with extremely short nap and it had mud/paint all in the nap.. it really bummed me out because I did not get it as "perfect" as I am used to.

I tried everything, APC diluted, goo gone and I even used MS APC (green stuff) that my homie Wolfpacker sent me FULL STRENGTH and it didn't knock it all out.. The green APC did the best out of anything I tried...

Anyhow, has anyone came across wells like this and if so what did you do/use?

2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Most Audis now have this as well sucks but its for sound insulation from the road.

Use a high pressure washer and spray it out the best you can, that's about it, no need for dressings or anything else.

3. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

car companies are starting to do some cool things with wheels wells.. well great for noice and confrot crappy for detailers... i know masserati and mercedes are starting to use felt to help dampen noise.... they say it cleans easly..it dosent.

Like dd mentioned, a presure washer is a mist for these

4. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I did PW them and scrubbed the hell out of them BUT could not get them perfect - Are you able to get them perfect?

I was so upset about this that during final imspection with the customer I expressed my displeasure and offered a discount.. She literally laughed and called me OCD and said they would be dirty in a couple days anyhow...

5. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Jason...try a diluted APC solution and a brush....not to stiff and not to light....a mediun...

First hit it with a jet stream of water to dislodge most grime...then spray and brush it...hit again with a jet stream...you should get 98% of gunk off....

I know some have used a dye on the like Ritz frabic dye...2.99 a bottle and mixed in spray bottle with water....worked good..nice and black again...and no harm ....

AL

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

DAMN bro, you alays pull these cool tips/tricks out of your bag... Looks like I will be getting some of that dye because I just can't handle wells that are anything less than perfect.. I really will be bummed about this all night....

7. Nica

Nica Banned

Man now that's detailing :applause: well done bro...that's what I expect out of you. Trust me I'm sure we can all relate as to how you feel but remember a small set back now will do wonders to the future details.

Great info being shared here as well, I've only done one vehicle with this type of wheel wells and they are a pain to detail.

8. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I know that Camry's, Avalon's, and my Volvo XC 90 has this stuff. I agree with you bro, I hate it. I have yet to come across one that was so bad that I couldn't get it clean with a brush or my pressure washer and can't imagine one like you had. I know I would spend waayy to much time trying to get it clean and when it didn't it would really tick me off. Thanks for Al-53 to come through in the clutch with some great info.

9. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Thanks bro!

When I quoted the vehicle it was sight unseen only because she didn't ask for any correction - I told her if the vehicle wasn't in the condition she described the price could change.

When I saw the vehicle my quote was spot on. When I saw the vehicle and confirmed the quote I built those wheel wells into the price, that was part ofm the job in my book. No wheel well goes unloved. I was't able to get it the way I imagined so IMO a discount was deserved. The owner felt otherwise.

I've never had this problem before and I'm sure I've done cars with this before but just must have never encountered one in such bad condition. I even used the MS APC you sent me with a little bit of APC I already had mixed 4:1 and then scrubbed the crap out of it and the pressure washed it and only got about 75-85% of it...

10. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Jason.....I talked to a buddy last night...he is a top shelf detailer and we were discussing some new stuff coming out...I brought up the Mazda wheel wells as he just did one ...he said use a water based water repellant that you use in a washing machine to water proof jackets as you wash them...and said mix it in a spray bottle....after you clean or dye them spray it on..it will retard dirt adhesion and prevent ice build up...he swears by the stuff....he gets it at a sporting good store.....he does seats with it also...it stops stain set ins....sorta like scotch guard...no staining..dries to the normal look of the fabric....

I am going to get some my self for my truck..I used scotch quard but hate the smell...

AL

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Sounds like a great preventative maint! I going to do it on my ride now also, great idea for winterization.

Thanks A LOT!

12. Nica

Nica Banned

That's a good tip Al, man that's one wicked tip :wicked: I'm going to give it a try...that's wicked no more stains :thumb: and I agree sounds like a great winterization tip.