Wheel wells, APC/Degreaser or Body Solvent?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by FMINUS, Feb 10, 2008.

1. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Which is strong IYE and removes gunk from wheel wells better?

2. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

I bought some ZEP Citrus APC last summer..it did a great job on cleaning....I used on wheel wells...tires...rims...and other places...it is suppose to be green friendly ..meaning safe stuff...I bought it at Home Depot and was cheap..maybe 8.99 a gallon..and can be diluted...its a citrus base and not a Butyl base cleaner...

I looked for iton thier site but can not find it..just all the industrial stuff...

So far I used the extractor shampoo...the glass cleaner and the APC and all performed very well and cost effective...

AL

3. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

I have found it to be the most effective to use two types of cleaners. I always soak the wheel wells down first with a degreaser (CG's Extreme Orange is my favorite for wheel wells) Then pressure wash them to remove the dirt and degreaser. Then I like to use either another round of degreaser or a body solvent as the second wash, it just seems to work best with two washes.

4. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

the glass can be diluted to like 50 gal i saw from one gal

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

ill have to try that

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

We use alot of Zep products in our shop for degreasing truck parts...injectors...and lubricants also...i just brought home some new spray lubricant we started using..it works very good in the shop so I lifted 2 cans..lol....much better than WD-40...it is sorta like Tri-flow..its a oil and teflon mix.....

here is the link to the degreasers..found it

Cleaners/Degreasers

AL

7. advanced detail

advanced detail Two Bucket System Washer

I 'll allways use degreaser first then if needed I'll hit it with solvent. I think solvent is stronger so I try the least agressive(degreaser) chemical first.

8. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

You'd be surprised what CG CWG can do in the foam cannon.

9. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Almost all of the cars I do must be spray on PW off. They are generally performance cars with no room for a brush.

Ill have to try some of the new CWC and use it FULL power and see what happends.

All I have to say is thank goodness for Bare Bones

10. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Grime Reaper on the wells for me and I don't need much if any agitation after hitting it with the pw.

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

For those of us (me) that have yet to try Bare Bones will you please explain this statement?

12. JLs Detailing

Bare bones will cover up just about anything. Even if you missed some dirt and grime on the wells Bare Bones will cover it up and make it appear as though it was never there.

13. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

So it blacks out?

What about if you missed something on the wheels - not correct appliction right as it is an "udercarriage spray"?

14. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Is Bare Bones just for wheel wells or can it be used on exposed frame rails and suspention parts too?

15. JLs Detailing

That's right just an undercarriage spray, although I bet it could be used on tires to give a very shiny look, but it's solvent based

Can be used on rails and suspension parts too.

16. advanced detail

I used it on the wells and suspention parts today and it looked great.

17. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Well now you cant say that without a pic to follow....sheeesh :D

18. advanced detail

Sorry no pics just a quick wash & wax.

19. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

adam's undercarriage...always get comments on "that grapey smell" from my clients they love it

20. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

thats has nothing to do with cleaning! I use Bare Bones as a dressing AFTER its clean.