wheel well cleaning methods

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by goldyhan23, Jul 6, 2010.

1. goldyhan23

goldyhan23 Virgin Detailer

Hey guys-
    just trying to figure out the most effective and efficient way to clean wheel wells. any suggestions?

thanks

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Use a Degreaser. I use either Meg's Super Degreaser or Chemical Guy's Grime reaper. First spray out what you can with a pressure washer. Then Spray wheel well down with degreaser. Let it sit while you clean the wheel/tire. Then return to the wheel well, and scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Rinse. Repeat if there was too much contamination. I've had to hit wells 3 times to get them completely clean before.

When finished, dress with CG BArebones or similar.

EDIT: I just read togwt's post below. I cannot stress enough to wear rubber gloves when using these stronger chemicals. I too have used a tar remover (Tardis), and am more thorough if the customer is paying for a full detail. I normally only clean and dress with a wash/wax package. I just don't have it built into the time frame.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Wheel Wells

Those plastic parts see the harshest conditions and are subjected to all the elements. The liner is usually made from SMC (an unsaturated polyester resin) periodically remove the wheels (one at a time utilizing a car jack and / or axle stands) to enable cleaning the back of the wheel, callipers and give better access to the wheel wells. Ensure that the vehicle body is secure by placing on axle stands.

1. Rinse wheel well thoroughly with water.
    2. Use a 1:1 solution of P21 Total Auto Wash a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner and water in a spray bottle, spray the wheel wells and let the solution remain in place for 3-5 min
    3. Agitate and brush the road dirt / grime the wheel well and suspension parts, brake callipers, etc
    4. Spray the area thoroughly with a high pressure water spray
    5. Remove any road asphalt with a safe solvent (Stoners Tarminator)
    6. Repeat if necessary
    7. Use P21S® Polishing Soap on all metal parts (taking care to avoid the brakes)
    8. Rinse using a high pressure hose / nozzle to remove soap residue
    9. I recommended wearing rubber gloves, once finished, rinse the wheel wells and dry them with an old terry towel.
    10. Once they have thoroughly dried, spray with 1z einszett Tiefenpfleger -Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant, Adam’s Undercarriage Detailer or Chemical Guys Bare Bones (avoid spraying the brake rotor)

These products leave a matte finish, (not solvent-based silicone dressings) without grease that attracts dirt / dust. Provides protection for the plastic ducts

An extract from “ Wheel Well and Undercarriage Cleaning “, one of a series of 120 technical papers “The Science of Detailing”, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care and a definitive and unbiased source for knowledge and information on detailing products and methodologies on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn. If you learn something from these articles, please pass it along and "pay it forward".

http://www.detailingbliss.com/foru...t-detailing-article-series-db-hyperlinks.htm

4. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Use an all purpose cleaner or a degreaser. Zep Citrus is perfect for this because it's cheap and effective. My parents' vehicles have the fabric-lined wheel wells for the rear wheels (which reduce road noise) and Zep Citrus 3:1 still works just fine. It does take longer to rinse the product out thoroughly though.

I've tried tons of different brushes for good access to wheel wells, and I've settled on the EZ Detail Brush. It provides the easiest access into the wheel wells and the long soft bristles have easy reach and can squeeze into tight places. I usually bend the brush in a wide "V" angle and I'm golden.

Only downside is that the EZ Detail has soft bristles so it may take more than one application to get the wheel wells clean. But I no longer use stiff-bristle brushes on wheel wells because I think they strip the anti-rust coating off.

5. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

I spray the wells with OPC, let it dwell for a few minutes and then scrub it with a medium stiff bristle brush which has been sitting in a bucket filled with soap. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Dress with either Bare Bones or other dressing.

6. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Any good brush suggestions for lowered vehicles? Taking off the wheels would be ideal, but a PITA.

7. pektel

The only solution I've found for lowered vehicles (besides removing the wheel), is jacking the vehicle up one corner at a time.

8. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Thought of that, but my suspension is so rigid that it would only provide a minimal amount more clearance. But may be what I have to do:(

9. pektel

Another trick is to start the brush underneath the car, and work up, instead of trying to go between the fender and tire. sometimes there is more room there.

Don't know if that really makes sense.

I totally understand what you are saying about lowered vehicles though. I lowered my car 2", and now Ican't fit a finger between the fender and tire at the top.

10. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Think I understand what you're saying. Car is so low that I think the brush handle may not clear the gap (unless it's SUPER thin). I think jacking it up is my best option. EZ detail looks thin and flexible enough, but not long enough?? Is there a longer version of this?

11. ziggo99

ziggo99 Birth of a Detailer

I currently use the Mother's wheel well brush. It's hit and miss on cars, but works well when I can use it. On an 08 and 99 Accord, it worked fine. On my 08 Aura with 18's, it's a tough fit, and doesn't reach some places. For that I grab an older mitt.

12. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

Yes the big brother of EZ detail is the Daytona Wheel Brush. It is about 12" long.

13. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Nice. Now why the heck doesn't DI carry that one? Best place to get one of those?

14. pektel

I thought the EZ detail brush was the same as the daytona.

15. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Same manufacturer. Daytona looks longer/wider. How long is the 'regular' EZ Detail brush?

16. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

In the US a place like Autogeek

In Canada there a few on line places ;)

They are really good, they actually make 3 versions of the brush.

- Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush 18" x 4.5"
    - EZ Detail Brush mini 13" x 2.5"
    - EZ Detail Motorcycle Brush 18" x 4.5"

17. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

18. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

So the 'regular' or motorcycle one is the same as the Daytona? Detailed Image has the blue mini and regular on sale now. If they are the same, I'll get it there.

19. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Think I found the 'differences'. Reinforced handle is a big plus from what I've read about the motorcycle version.

the Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush has a thicker, reinforced stem. It maintains its flexibility but the new stem is more rugged for frequent use on auto wheels. The bristles are slightly feathered on the ends to gently clean delicate wheel finishes, such as coated or plated wheels, without scratching.

20. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I have both EZ Detail and the Daytona Speed Master, in addition I have the EZ Detail Mini Brush.

The EZ Detail Brush (regular size) and the Daytona Speed Master are exactly the same dimensions and sizes and everything, and both brushes are made by EZ Detail. Daytona Speed Master has slightly softer bristles for cleaning more delicate wheel finishes. The stem is also supposedly reinforced so that you can bend it in different angles without having the stem snap over time. Supposedly, a snapped stem is something the standard EZ Detail brush suffers from but I can't comment on this as I've never had this problem.

I suggest going with the regular EZ Detail Brush beecause of the slightly stiffer bristles...the Daytona Speed Master bristles are a little too floppy (when soaking in soap/water) for wheel well duty...it's nice for gentle cleaning of wheels, though.