Wheel Sealants. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by JoeyV, Mar 26, 2011.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

With the exception of the BF All Metal Sealant, I can think of 4 - off the top of my head - wheel sealants/waxes. Poorboys Wheels sealant, Smartwax Rimwax, Wheel Wax, and DP Wheel Glaze. What are your thoughts on these? Price wise, they are pretty much all the same, but performance wise, I want to know what you guys think. I personally have PB's Wheel Sealant and DP Wheel Glaze, and by far prefer PB's. The DP smells nice, but it's a glaze and is too creamy for my liking, it's also harder to remove when dry than the PB's.

Opinions?

Shoot!

2. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

I have BF All Metal Sealant, CG Wheel Guard, PB's Wheel Sealant and Swissvax Autobahn. Out of all those I prefer the BF and Swissvax. I usually do the barrels with a few coats of BF and the face of my rims with Swissvax Autobahn.

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Rejex (spelling) is supposed to be really good for wheels.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I would do the following

1. clean wheels
    2. iron X
    3. clay
    4. werkstat strong prime
    5. rejex
    6. optional wax, spray wax etc

5. JoeyV

Let me clarify...opinions, not as in "what other products to use" but opinions on the ones I mentioned. What do you think about the ones I mentioned?

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

DP wheel glaze is too hard to remove yet it doesn't last long enought to justify extra elbow grease. Poorboy's is easy to apply/remove, but durability is poor. I haven't tried Smartwax Rimwax, but as far as Wheel Wax it's the worst out of them all IMO, as it barely lasted me 2weeks at the most...
    I use and like something that last longer - Collinite 476s, 845, DG 601/105, FinishKare 1000p. Also Migliore wheel wax is quite nice too.

7. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Blackfire Metal Sealant and it can take tempertures up to 500 degrees.

8. F. Premens

F. Premens Any Rag Vehicle Washer

G-Techniq C5. :thumb:

9. ramprun

ramprun Any Rag Vehicle Washer

what about armor all wheel protectant. i looked up their demo and it looks very impressive.

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

from what you mentioned i only used PB wheel sealant. id go iwth couple coats of that

11. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

It works well if you don't mind the milky white-residue that it leaves on rims. This residue can be buffed, but durability is affected.

12. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I usually do a coat of optiseal followed by two coats of PB's Wheel Sealant.

I know this has been mentioned before, but AG's CWC shinny protection left after cleaning provides enough protection for a couple of weeks anyways. I have noticed this on my wife's truck that is not washed as often as I would like to.

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

We have been playing with Sonus Aluminum Sealant and its eerily similar to Blackfire, just the colouring is different. Its also about $6 cheaper for 16oz.

14. JoeyV

That's pretty cool Ken. I may have to look into that in a short while. For now, I'm sticking with the Poorboy's Wheels Sealant as it gives me the best look and is easy to remove.

15. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

dont like applying the PB Wheel sealant, too pink and slimy.

16. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

dp, pb, and wheel wax are all disappointing.
    blackfire is good for high temp and durability but hazes and isnt as easy to remove as bfwd. i prefer it on wheel barrels over powdercoated faces.
    migliore is good but is a little thick for intricate rims.
    ive only used 845 on wheels once, its a little hard not to put it on too thick or thin on wheels.
    i prefer ones that dry clear and dont haze.
    gtechniq c1,c2,c5 or optiseal for me.

for 3 piece wheels or multispokes clear sealants are so much easier..

17. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I agree..It's Blackfire Metal Sealant or GTechniq Wheel Armor C5 for me.

18. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

So the C5 goes on clear and you don't remove?

19. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Smartwax RimWax cleans and protects in one step. The UK guys say its durability is impressive but I can never test durability of my wheel sealants to verify that. I don't care much for the application of RimWax. It is tough to apply evenly and is just okay to buff out, and it makes my fingers dark purple after applying with a foam finger-pocket applicator pad. PB Wheel Sealant has a great application/removal, and a really dope shine, but from what I've heard the durability isn't great. Two coats easily lasts me 2+ weeks and that's all I ever need out of a wheel sealant.

20. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

from the instructions, c5 still requires to have excess and residue wiped off but not buffed off
    and it says it lasts for 2 years