Wheel Sealant : C5 or Opti-Coat

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by agpatel, Jun 12, 2012.

1. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Looking at getting new wheels for my GTI soon and before i mount them I want to apply some kind of coating to them. Looking at GTech C5 or Opti-Coat 2 but do not know which will be better overall for the wheels in terms of keeping them clean and protected and durability. Any opinions on one of another or comparison?

2. TroyScherer

TroyScherer DB Forum Supporter

Opti-Coat would be my choice for sure.

3. React

React Birth of a Detailer

OC 2 for sure.... Great results on my buddies new wheels for his S4

4. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Have you tried c5?

5. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Opti-Coat/Guard

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

*disclaimer: I have not tried C5 and have no desire to based solely on my 1st hand experiences with OC/OG*

I will NEVER own a set of wheels again without coating them. OC/OG has completely changed cleaning wheels for me... Say bye bye to hardcore cleaners

OC/OG all the way

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm so far it looks like OC is for the win....

Pics of wheels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flat black

8. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

Ask the same question on DW.

9. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Haha...I know what will occur but I was thinking of it...

10. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I used OG on a set of matte black Vossen wheels for an owners C6. He loved the very subtle darkening it gave them and cleaning is a snap now! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Zatrekaz

Zatrekaz DB Forum Supporter

Old thread, I know... but maybe this will help someone later on.

I recently used both C5 and OC 2.0.

C5 went on my new Fr500 Silver Wheels. Application, when compared to OC, was harder but was not hard if that make sense. C5 takes a bit more care as to the lint and such. You also can not see C5 flashing like OC2.0. If I had to do it over again, I would try OC on the wheels. C5 does offer WONDERFUL protection and great water sheeting... the application is just a bit more time consuming.

Of course, this could be due to the fact that I applied C5 on intricate spoked wheels and OC2.0 on flat panels of a car. The + to OC2.0 is you can apply it on the wheels and the paint, more than once. C5 can only be used on the wheels and cost more. C5 is $30ish for 30ml while OC2.0 is $50ish for 20cc which goes much further.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

13. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

OC! Amazing how easy it is to clean dirt. Havent seen it do the "Sheeting" action however it varies by vehicle & surface!

14. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

What do you guys recommend for brand spanking new in the box chrome rims? I am tossing up between C5 and OC?

Will the rims still need to be polished or?

15. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

OC is a great product and I like it on wheels. It's easy to apply and for wheels with lots of small details you can use an airbrush to apply OC.