wheel cleaning help please!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by slanguage, Jun 30, 2009.

1. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

[​IMG]

I cleaned my wheels last week. As you can see from the above photo, the inside on the spokes are still black. I tried a few things I had but nothing cut through it. Any suggestions? I am trying not to use anything acidic, because I don't want to damage the wheels.

I got the vehicle back in November, so I am not the 1st owner. I am sure this is the 1st time the insides of the wheels were done. They are nothing special, just OEM wheels on a 2005 Hyundai Tucson.

Thanks In Advance,
    -Roger :)

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Get some Tardis, Nica can hook you with a gallon. If you can find some 3m adhesive remover that will work as well as the main components are similar. Spray it on and let it sit for a bit to work its magic, use a brush to agitate the tar and grime and wash away.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

That my friend is brake dust and you will have to use an acid based product to clean it up. Get some Megs Wheel Brightener and start with a weak dilution and keep making it stronger until you notice it start to work.

4. slanguage

ok. thanks for the info Ken. might just order it from ADS.

5. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

A cleaner like Megs WB will not hurt OEM painted wheels bro and it's all that's going to help you. Heck you might even need some wheel Acid diluted like 10:1 to get through that.

6. slanguage

I posted this up on detailing world also, and someone over there recommended bromoco restore. I am probably going to order that as well.

7. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

another vote for WB. I used on my wife's BMW, which had 5 years of brake dust build up (just like yours), and no issues. Just don't use it on uncoated alluminum, better off DON'T BUY uncoated alluminum wheels in a first place.

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Meguiar's D140 Wheel Brightener is a strong acid, Ammonium bifluoride SiO2 (ABF) pH 5.0. Even with a dilution rate of 4:1 (as recommended by Meguiar's) results in a pH 4.5 solution.

This product requires certain safety measures be taken; eye protection, respirator and gloves. You should only apply to cool wheels (or it will become a strong vapour, you’ll also need to wet down cement as it can stain it. Do not use this product if the clear coat on your wheel has been compromised by rock chips, hitting a curb etc as it could permeate the clear coat (or polished wheel surface) fogging or permanently staining the surface. For these reasons Meguiar's markets this product to professionals (The statement made by Megs is that it’s a ‘Professional Product’ whatever that means, as it can be purchased by anyone)

9. slanguage

I have agreat respirator, gloves and various safety googles. thanks for the tips.

10. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

As always, thanks for the useful info! :thumb:

Quick point of clarification - why would a pH 5.0 undiluted solution go to pH 4.5 when diluted with water (pH 7.0)? Logically, doesn't make sense to me that it'd become more acidic by adding water... :shrug:

11. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

Ill hook you up with some ardex buster roger. It will make short work of that stuff.

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

As an example, hydrofluoric acid (HF), one of the most highly regulated, most dangerous acids and the only acid that will dissolve glass is a ‘weak’ acid, its pH decreases when the solution is diluted with H20 or a buffer acid, which results in an acid becoming more reactive (stronger)

13. lonewolf525

lonewolf525 Jedi Nuba

What no body recommended p21s gel. it will not hurt your wheels at all. there are some online stores that have them on sale for the 4th of july. i would also try that 3M remover recommendation. i would bet the local paint store might have them in stock that would beat the shipping cost.

14. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Another vote for Wheel Brightener, it gets a bad rap sometimes but i use it all the time and have had no ill effects...just like has been said dont use it on uncoated aluminum or anodized wheels...4:1 make work of it:thumb:

15. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

P21s gel wouldnt be effective on that at all.

16. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Couldn't agree more.

17. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

I have the same problem with the wheels on my mom's 97 Volvo, but more extreme. P21S Gel got slapped by it. I need some Tardis or something asap.

Me v. wheels went something like this - :poke: -> :catfight: -> wheels = :giggle:.

I like smilies a bit.

18. Nica

Nica Banned

:nod: I would have to agree with D&D on this one. P21S is great but this is too much for P21S.

19. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

It's been a few years since my Chem major but the acid can actually borrow Hydrogen (or is it Oxygen) molecules to create more molecules or fill in gaps with floating particles, I think...

20. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

So at full dilution it is "weaker" than 4:1? I should try it again on my friends wheels. Did a good job undiluted though. What is the optimal dilution for the most strength?