Wheel acid neutralizer

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by richy, May 28, 2008.

1. richy

richy Guest

I want to make up a bottle of water:baking soda to spray on my wheels after using Megs or another wheel acid..I have a 16 oz spray bottle..how much baking soda shall I use with 16oz?

2. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

Good question, for I would like to know that myself....

How about mix of dawn and water. I know a tea spoon of dawn will bring up the pH of 12 oz of water to 9.0-10.

3. richy

richy Guest

That'll work too I guess..as long as it's high enough to neutralize the acid, that's all that matters. I already have a bottle of woolite:water 1:10..wonder if that would do it. Your mixture sounds stronger.

4. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

3-4 heaping table spoons will do it..thats what I use....heres how I figured it out...lol....its one tablespoon to a 10oz glass of water to stop Acid reflux....so I went from there for wheel acid..I added a little extra to it...it works...

always have a bottle around if you work with a acid type product....if by chance you get any on your face...or skin....just using a wheel brush will spray it all over ..just spray your skin....

A neutral shampoo will do it also ..the one from valu guard is a acid neutralizer .....DG 901 is neutral....any neutral car wash will work...I like the baking soda myself..

Al

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Great thread here boys, keep the information coming :thumb:

6. richy

richy Guest

Al..thanks for responding. After reading an earlier post of yours about the baking soda, I wanted to try it, but was unsure how much..thanks again for your wealth of information. You are such an asset to this (and others) forum..thanks for taking the time!!:applause2::worship2::worship2::applause2:

7. J_Edwards

J_Edwards Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Yeah this is really good to know. I have been thinking of making something like this for a while, if anything to stop the "rusting" of brake rotors from using Wheel Brightener.

8. Sparkie

Sparkie Wax on..Wax off

I don't think Woolite will do it, pH is 7.0 on it.

9. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

If WB PH is 5.5, maybe another way to neutralize acid would be just to spray APC (20:1) on the wheel and just rinse it off...it should neutralize acid, at the same time it will still be cheaper then baking soda...or maybe not????

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

To neutralize an acid- [: amphoteric; reacting with acids and bases to neutralize an acid]
    Acid will keep reacting with any surface it’s applied to if it isn't neutralized by an alkaline product [/I] Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) (lime -the type used on lawns and gardens) or Sodium bicarbonate (NaHC03) Adding a generous quantity of lime or baking soda and adding water will cause an exothermic (heat release) reaction, to produce a harmless salt. I prefer lime over baking soda since it is less expensive, is sold in larger bags and most gardeners have some lying around. Or use an alkaline product like
    Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner pH 12.0 - Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity Cleaner

Chem 101 Note: Always add acid to water... never add water to acid
    When water is added to muriatic acid, an exothermic (heat release) reaction occurs. This is often accompanied by a violent ’blow-back’, which propels the acid mixture out of the container and onto the person making the dilution! This occurs because the heat generated by the reaction is under the cooler water and causing it to expand rapidly. When the acid is poured slowly into the water, the cooler water layer is on bottom, so the heat generated is dissipated upwards at a slow speed.

11. richy

richy Guest

Jon..as always, great info there. I already have baking soda on hand so I will use that with the 3-4 tablespoon recommendation of AL.

12. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Thanks, that's what I always do with Wheel Brightener. I figured it will be safer this way.

13. Esienmann_M6

Esienmann_M6 Two Bucket System Washer

why all this hassle? get P21S by the gallon and save effort and money! even if stuff are caked on P21S never let me down on them.

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I agree 100% (acid free :) )