What's the fastest and most efficient way of applying Wolf's BW and GG?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by Kaban, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Hey guys, Yesterday we finally had a warm day outside, so I washed my car for the first time in months since the winter. I washed all the salt off, hit it with Iron X and clayed it for the first time in a year. I stripped the Collinite wax that was on the paint, did a few IPA wipedowns and applied Wolf's BW and Glass Guard.

My question is, what do you find is the easiest and most efficient (economic) way of applying these sealants? I was using a cotton ball, but it took FOREVER compared to how long it takes to put on a regular wax with a round wax pad.

What should I be using to speed up the process and not waste that much product?

2. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Hi!

I usually use those little round make up pads to apply it, but lately I've been using a small piece of a foam applicator, which seems to work very well also! Just use a small piece though so you don't waste any product!

3. Kaban

Thanks for replying so quickly Jesse. I love your products. I guess I was just careful about not using too much or more than necessary because for my budget it's a bit more expensive product than what I used in the past.

So, you're saying to just take a regular round wax pad (foam) and cut off a small piece of it? That sounds like a good idea. Thanks again.

4. Wolfs Chemicals

Cheers bud, I'm glad you like it :)! Yeah I've cut a few round applicators into 4 and I use those to apply it!

5. Kaban

Thanks again Jesse. I'll be sure to do that for next time.

I'm pretty excited to finally try out your nano shampoo that I got a while ago and do a review of it and the glass guard on Phil's site.

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I've also used this method to apply bw with good results.

Jason

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Cool. I am using it on a new BMW on Monday.

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Amazing work it looks great you guys! I am wondering if that trick would work using my PE 14-2 on 600rpm since I don't own a d/a anymore. I am going to be applying Bodywrap to my Mach 1 soon and this would defiantly make application easier of it were to work. What are your thoughts on this Bob?

I COPIED AND PASTED THIS POST FROM BOB'S THREAD TODAY. STILL WAITING TO SEE IF THIS IS POSSIBLE VIA ROTARY.

9. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

all the cotton make up pads i have tried began to fall apart and lint. i tried 3 different brands. i was using the cut up microfiber towel but it left marring on super soft (honda crystal black) paint. i just didnt have the heart to cut up a adams double soft to use. i tried the black pad and a pc this weekend and felt it used to much product. and the dry parts of the pad skipped and hopped on the paint

10. Kaban

any more info on that Danny? what size pad?

11. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

nothing yet man:(

12. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

I read that also Danny, curious as well.

13. Kaban

I obviously haven't tried Danny's (Bob's) method, but it just seems like it would take alot of sealant to "prime" the pad and it would soak alot of it up resulting in a waste of product.

14. KenB

KenB DB Forum Supporter

There was a thread on DW where Jesse was going to try using the rotary to apply BW but didn't see any updates about it.
    Hopefully he can chime in here and let us know how it went.

15. Wolfs Chemicals

Hi guys! Yes I've used a rotary and a DA to apply it! The rotary you have to get used to because you can get some product sling from it, as well as with the DA, so use very little! Body Wrap on its own gives a silly shine, but using a DA or rotary just does something to it and the shine is incredible after that... I'm sure it has something to do with the more even coverage! I've actually removed BW with a finishing pad and a rotary also... insane shine! Just sort of buff to a high gloss then remove any left over residue with a MF... it's sick!

16. KenB

KenB DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for the quick reply and insights Jesse.
    What speeds/pad were you using for application?
    Did you put anything on the finishing pad for the removal?
    Thanks.

17. Wolfs Chemicals

Any time Ken :)! No I didn't put anything on the pad when removing, just used a clean pad (very important!!) The sealant itself will almost disappear when applying when it's applied to an über-clean surface, so there's really not a lot to "remove". It's almost like spit-shining! I removed it and applied @ about 900!

18. KenB

KenB DB Forum Supporter

Thanks mate appreciate the answers.
    Sounds good, looking forward to trying it out!
    Thanks again Jesse.

19. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks for the reply Jesse I am going to give it a go with My FLEX PE 14-2. Do you suggest using 600 rpms or is 900 rpms better, also what pad do you suggest using when applying and removing? I am guessing a Blue or Black Uber finishing pad?, I also have LC Hydrotech Crimson pads just not sure which to use.

20. Wolfs Chemicals

Cheers Danny! Yeah I think 600 should be plenty, you don't need high speeds! Any finishing pad should be perfect! Just a quick update:

I did a Ferrari Italia today and applied BW by applicator then smoothed it out with a finishing pad on the DA @ speed 2, then buffed off about 15 minutes later... Bang! This picture isn't the best, but you can still see the crazy shine!

[​IMG]