What's the difference btwn. M105 and M95 compounds

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Dust2Glory, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Title says it all... what's the difference? Is it the working times?

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

3. BlueZero

BlueZero Birth of a Detailer

If I remember correctly working times and M105 will finish down a little better.

4. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Care to elaborate??:shead:

5. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Technically the 95 has a longer working time where the 105 finishes finer. The M95 supposedly (AFAIK) doesn't have diminishing abrasives in it, where as the M105 does. I could have that reversed for all I remember but I know Superbee if he ever chimes in has extensive hands on with both of these.

I'm still awaiting to use my M95 sample I got... so I can't comment on it's actual function.

6. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I have never used 95 but it is M105 that does NOT have diminishing abrasives

7. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

So i know M105 is not that great with a foam pad, but is M95 any better?

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Just get some wool and M105 and call it a day:headbang:... you wont be sorry!!

I really like the edge wool and 3M wool.....

9. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

M105 works fine with foam, theres just a bit of a learning curve.

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

it does but nowhere near as well. Remeber when using wool it also levels the paint better therefore the end results will be better than using foam to start out with. Sorry about that Dust, should have been a little more indepth but the above post are pretty much dead on.

11. Wendell inc.

Wendell inc. Birth of a Detailer

M105 is very finicky (from my experience). I enjoyed it after i got the hang of it. It is a very good product but when it is acting up then the 3m extra cut is good!

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Honestly M105 should not be that difficult that you need to reach for another polish. It is nowhere Menzerna in a humid enviroment.

13. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Oh yeah, wool definitely levels the paint better, corrects better/ faster, but it also will require you to do a 3 step 99% of the time.

I agree, whether you're using wool or foam, 105 should not give you problems. If its gumming up, then your technique is off. You're most likely using too much polish, or your pad is gummed up.

Simply put some lines of 105 directly on the paint, then just pick it up at 1500 or whatever rpm you're working with as you go.

14. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

i've played with the 105 only a few times.... I have a black chevy hood that i got to play on, especially when i get my makita in, so I will be playing around ALOT in the next few weeks

15. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I have still been experiencing a lot of gumming and difficulty with removing leftover product with M105 and PFW. I'm sure it's my technique and quite possibly the weather conditions but it still is a compound that is difficult to learn. Sure it may be easier for some of you but for the majority of us, it can really be finicky and tempermental.

16. HPIA4v2

HPIA4v2 Birth of a Detailer

Denzil, are you using rotary or DA? I think Meg people design 105 with rotary in mind, I only use meg105 3x on Flex and it can be strugle but boy it's fast so I keep going back to it.

17. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I'm using the Metabo.

18. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

19. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

supposedly they have the same cut but M105 is more $$ because of the technology and materials that are in the product.

It finishes better and 95 is more for mass correction due to cost savings

20. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

In my experience 105 is done working in about 12-20 seconds! 95 is done in about 1.5-2min. this comparison is on the same paint, same car, same area.

If you add a DROP of OP to a 105 on the pad you can increase the working time a bit, thus giving you a less steep learning curve.

105 on a PFW are an oustanding combo.

I have used 105 on white foam with no ill effects, it just does not cut as hard. White LC is as low of a cut pad as I would use.

Cheers,
    GREG