what's the best way to remove smokes odor?

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by devast8, May 8, 2008.

1. devast8

devast8 New Member

and I'm not talking about cig smoke but black smoke from a fire.

I just bought an old car for restoration / project and there was a fire in the back seat which burn about 1'X2' in the back seats. The whole car was smoked pretty bad. I will be stripping the whole interior and clean every inch, but my question what product or techniques could help me remove that nasty smell? I read somewhere to leave a bowl of vinegar in it for a couple of days. I'm also thinking buying some DG odor eliminator

Any idea and suggestion would be appreciated

:mounty:

here's some picture of the damage so it will give you an idea.

The actual damage:

[​IMG]

look at the film on the window!

[​IMG]

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

If you're stripping down the entire interior, what parts will you be keeping. Are those the parts that you will be deodorizing?

Is this car a Toyota Celica?

3. devast8

devast8 New Member

I will be keeping everything. i will just strip for cleaning then re-assemble again. i will try to find a new carpet and seats.

you're close, it's is little cousin :popcorn: it's a 86 corolla gts

4. richy

richy Guest

5. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

The only way your going to get rid of the smoke odor since its in every nook and cranny is to rent a ozone generator...it will have to be left in the car for awhile...a day or 2 maybe....you can call some rental places to see if any one rents one....no cover scent is going to do it....

the odor is on very part of the interior..wire..ac ducts...headliner...seat foam...plastics....you name it the oder is there....you need to wash everything you can get a rag on plus extract every cloth piece except the headliner....and then ozone it...

little info to read Remove Smoke Odor Caused by California Wild Fires

this shows what a ozone machine will do

AL

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I'd agree with Al-53 the acrid smoke from foam burning is very difficult to erase and an ozone is about the only way to go.

Let us know how you get on

7. devast8

devast8 New Member

a response from Al and togwt, what else can I ask lol

Thanks guys. I will check to rent a ozone, I'm not sure if there a place around here that rent that but i will check it out today. I already found a place that rent an extractor and a steamer so that will help cleanup.

If I can't find a place that rent a ozone, I will order this:
    Autocare Odor Bomb - Neutral
    Welcome to Goodspeed Motoring Online

and Wurth® Air Conditioning and Heating System Treatment

I also found this that might be good: Cigarette Smoke Remover

It's such a shame that it burned because this car is in mint mint condition. but I can't complain because I got it for pretty cheap because of that. There was a kleenex box on the lump over the differential and some punk passed and threw a cig stub in the kleenex box, starting the fire...

I'm starting stripping down the interior this weekend so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can let you guys how it came out.

thanks

8. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

i agree with AL on this one...if your serious about this i would replace the seats ,headliners etc..during a fire heat will expand the pores in plastic and vinyl after the fire cools it wil trap the smoke odor..

9. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Aw, a Hachi Roku... lucky! I hope you're putting that LSD to some good use! :worship2:

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

It's been quite a while since I've had to do this

Smells and Odours:
    Tobacco smoke- Smoke molecules are microscopic and they exhibit a very strong adhesive quality; plus they don't conform to normal cleaning standards. A solvent will not break its bond; a detergent/ surfactant will not suspend them to aid its removal.

More than any other odour problem smoke removal is a process, its one of the most difficult smells to remove from a car, as the smoke permeates almost every interior finish. Start by cleaning the carpets and upholstery with an extractor and 303 Carpet & Spot Remover TM. Clean leather, vinyl and all interior glass surfaces with approved cleaners, once the carpet has dried for 24 hours, sprinkle with baking soda, rub it in to ensure that it penetrates the fibres and leave it for about a week, then vacuum the carpet to remove. The baking soda should absorb the remaining odour in the carpet. As with all smell and odour removal check the cabin air filter, change as necessary.

Place an open container of fresh ground coffee under each seat or foot well, coffee works astonishing well at absorbing cigarette odours.

Don't forget the headliner, as this is the source of most of the tobacco smell (mostly due to nicotine tar.

Headliners:
    Require special care and attention, as cloth type headliners are assembled with foam backing and usually glued to a fibre roof panel. If the headliner becomes wet, it can cause the head liner to delaminate and fall down. An interior cleaner (303 TM Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner) should be used. Spray onto a terry towel and wipe very gently

Do not spray products directly onto head lining. Wipe lightly making sure not to leave headliner wet. Inspect and re-clean as necessary. It is better to clean twice, rather than to allow the head liner to get too wet. An alcohol based aerosol glass cleaner may also work for this operation because of its quick evaporation. Vinyl headliners should be cleaned the same way.

Methodology
    •Lightly brush the headliner with a natural-latex sponge or a horsehair brush, they have very soft bristles that are gentle and is specially made for headliners or leather surfaces, this will loosen dust / dirt and make vacuuming easier (for very light dust or lint use a rolling lint brush)
    •Do not use a stiff brush as you may snag or tear the headliner material
    •Lightly vacuum the headliner to remove loose dust
    •Spray 303 CM Cleaner & Spot Remover on to a 100% cotton terry towel
    •Cleaning the headliner a quarter section at a time, use very light and even pressure on the towel to work the cleaner into the fabric. Do not saturate the material or use much pressure on the towel
    •Use a fresh, clean damp, 100% cotton terry towel to remove the soil / dirt
    •Frequently rinse the towel in clean warm water to ensure all dirt I soil is removed
    •If the vehicle is fitted with a sunroof, open it a couple of inches, as dust build up at the front edge.
    •Clean this area before closing the sunroof and proceeding to the rear of the sunroof.

Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) Is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces.
    Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour - Products - Serious Performance.

Use a product that chemically alters the proteins that odour-causing microbes feed on (Auto Internationals Odour Terminator (Valuguard) most odours will be eliminated (Automotive International - Valugard Product Line) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting, without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell.

Removal of smoke, pet odours, virtually any organically caused mal-odour in carpet, seats, headliners, upholstery and heating and air conditioning ducts. As with all smell and odour removal check the cabin air filter, change as necessary

12. devast8

devast8 New Member

nice to see someone familiar with the ae86 :thumb:

if you would see the body and the price I paid you would say I was blessed :angel:

full detail coming soon :afro:

THANKS togwt!

13. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

OMG!!!! Good luck!