What's possible with glass polishing?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by MrPolished&Waxed, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

looking to see what kind of turn arounds can be made with glass polishing.

What are the good kits/products. What can be fixed and what can't.
    I just havent seen any write-ups where someone has done some glass polishing.

I see tons of cars with scratched glass and would like to offer a service that cleans that up.

thanks

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Glass is a tricky subject, especially windshields. If you were to try to "polish" glass, like paint to level it out, you could take away from the curve of the windshield, which in turn could affect the performance of wipers.

I have used 1Z glass polish before, and it did a great job of "deep" cleaning the glas, and removing some water spots. I did this by hand, haven't tried it by machine yet.

3. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I too tried the 1Z glass polish. Worked ok. Smelled great,but i'll have to try it by machine before I recommend it to anyone.

4. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

Jeweler's rouge? Haven't tried it; however, I've heard it is effective in comparison to boutique glass products currently available.

5. MrPolished&Waxed

looks kinda like an uncharted territory for DB'ers?

any info on the diamondite line?

6. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

The LC glass kit works very well.

7. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

Cerium oxide is what you need for removing actual scratches from glass. The eastwood company has a few kits. Light scratches can be removed. Most "glass polishes" will not remove scratches, they remove contaminants.

From a business standpoint it may be wise to stay away from due to liability in the event of you inserting a ripple or wave into the glass that causes the driver's vision to be impaired.

8. MrPolished&Waxed

what kind of defects did you use it on?

MWAUTOPRO:

as far as liability, have you actually seen or caused ripple effects?

I am actually looking at the side glass vertical scratches and some light wiper blade scratches.

9. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I can definitely see that being an issue.

10. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Should I repair or replace my windshield?
    Be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed and you may have to replace it. If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (0 .004 –inch deep) you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.
    A replacement windscreen can sometimes be claimed on an insurance policy without loss of no-claim bonus, dependant upon coverage (check first with insurance company).Some windscreen ‘glass’ is actually a plastic resin and will scratch easily, consult your dealer to find out what material was used for the OEM windshield.

There are various types of windshield glass; some newer cars have acoustic glass or rain sensors built in, so be sure you get the correct type of glass. Aftermarket glass is not required to meet the same Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) regulations as OEM glass.

OEM glass is usually stronger and this may be important when you realize that the windshield becomes the backing plate for your air bags in a crash. The glass windshield provides up to 60% of the cage strength in the event of a rollover accident. OEM glass is more expensive as it is more costly to make. Yet the windshield may save your life or your family's lives in a crash. See also -FAQ's, OEM Glass, Windshield Replacement, Glass Replacement Phoenix, Auto Glass Phoenix, Safety Glass, Insulated Glass, Tempered

11. MWAUTOPRO

MWAUTOPRO Jedi Nuba

I have seen windshields with very large ripples/waves in them. I know that it is hard to do a "spot repair" without getting some form of a ripple or wave (a lot of dealerships do not want to pay to do it right) but it is possbile to go over an entire glass. I have also seen glass filled with heavy swirls and that is scary to drive in direct sun.

12. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I don't use it with the intention of correcting defects. Like MWAUTOPRO (whom I hope you get a chance to meet) said, it's more for contaminant removal. If you don't end up liking it, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands or trade for it.

I agree with what I read in another post somewhere. Today's windshields seem to be a lot softer. I've gotten hits that 10 years ago would have caused a crack to form within a week. Now it's just an annoying crater.

13. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

I've tried Griots windshield polish with the 3 inch pad and a ro to minimize sling. I am pretty well pleased as far as cleaning and removing imbedded particles of contaniments . H aven't tried eastwoods pads but tried the powder form which you make into a paste,which can be messy.

14. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Thanks bro, but I like it. I just haven't had a chance to really try it out. I have a glass polishing kit that I need to try out also.:gasp: To many toys not enough time in the day.:thumb:

When are we gonna hook up? Please keep me informed.

15. TheJakeR

TheJakeR Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+1 on the cerium oxide. Many guys also use it to clean up their glass headlight lenses and it works great!

I can't say from experience, but I've seen before and afters of the stuff used with a DA and a LC glass polishing pad. Did wonders for my buddy's e30m3 headlights! Should be the same concept with auto glass, just a MUCH larger surface area.