What's everyones process on washing pads?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by d00t, Mar 12, 2009.

1. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I personally throw them in the washer on "Silver Care" gentle, cold/cold sprayed with pinnacle xmt pad cleaner, then wrung out and spurred dry. This aided in the ultimate distruction of my 3m uk pads, but wasn't the main cause. But I DID find out from Rich @ Gloss-It that 3M doesn't put an additive in their pads that makes them machine washable safe (like the megs 2.0 pads do) :duh: .

What do you guys do??

Aaron

2. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I spray them with Danase Pad Cleaner, run them through warm water and scrub them with the Edge Foam Pad Conditioning Brush if necessary then spin them dry.

3. PhoTuGo

PhoTuGo Jedi Nuba

I throw em dirty in the machine (warm/warm), Dump 2-3 oz of CG microfiber wash in it. It comes out perfect

4. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

My washing machine gets dog hair all over my pads if I put them in there so I do it by hand and spin by rotary. Usually its a bucket with MicroRestore though :)

5. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I spray mine down with the Pad Renewing Solution (from the GG UPW) and let them soak in some Dawn and warm water. After a few hours, I agitate them by hand under warm water and rinse them out. I usually just let them air dry.

If I'm out in the field or if I just feel like it, I'll use the GG UPW.

6. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I spray them with Dawn Power Dissolver and agitate under hot water...then rinse with cold and set them out to dry..Power dissolver is excellent..2 bucks a bottle at walmart too

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I run them under warm water in the sink, and squeeze whatever I can get out of them. After that, I run a sink full of warm water, with a splash of APC (Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff), and let them soak in that. Polish just runs out of them after about a 5-10 minute soak. Rinse clean, put on the Makita, and spin them dry. Then I set them in their box, with the lid cracked, to air dry.

8. +1 for that!

9. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I've always used a 5 gallon bucket with Snappy Clean. soak from right after I'm done using them, up to 3 days :eek: (depends on when I actually get around to cleaning them).

Then I agitate/rinse them out under warm/hot water. Doesn't take long, as the polish just runs out of them. Then I just wring them out, but I don't wring them very hard, as I am afraid of altering their shape.
    Then I lay out some paper towel on the top of the dryer in the laundry room, and lay all the pads face down. Next day, I flip them to face up, and replace the paper towel .

After they are completely dry, then back into the tupperware containers I keep my pads in.

I've never looked into doing it faster, because if they are still damp, they can always be used right from that state. Plus, I don't really don't consider it a chore. I don't mind cleaning them up, and getting them looking new again. Still can't get the purple stains from 106FF out of White pads though, but it doesn't really bother me.

10. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

I fill the garage sink half full with hot water and dish soap.
    Set the pads face down in the water for 20 min then use a grit guard to scrub them.
    I let them sit overnight and repeat in the morning.
    Rinse with running warm water while scrubbing on a grit guard.
    Use the rotary to spin dry and set them aside to dry completely.

11. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

lol I just used the grit guard for a washboard last time I washed pads!

12. odgaard

odgaard Birth of a Detailer

ive been putting them in a bucket full of hot water and some p21s TAW. they are perfect after i wring them out a little bit. I have some pad cleaner i haven't used yet so we will see how that does.

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i fill up my sink with warm water and some dish soap or APC and let my pads soak face down in there for like a half hour. by that time most of the polish has already run out of the pads and i can run them under warm water and agitate by hand and work the rest of the polish out. then spin dry on the makita.

14. tod071

tod071 Birth of a Detailer

So I see alot of people use different products, from Dawn/APC OTC products, to pad cleaners (Snappy Clean, Danase, etc). I've used a lot of products myself and still can't find the perfect solution. Is it really worth it to get special pad cleaners if they do the same job as OTC products that you can buy in bulk?

15. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

No, It's not worth it to me either...I use Tide free or dawn and usually tide free. My wife gets mad when I use all her dawn...:thumb:

16. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

:yikes: TAW is *way* too expensive for me to even try that. I bet it works though...

17. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Last night I used a bucket of hot tap water and a splash of LA Awesome, soaked for about 10 min., agitated with the orange Edge foam pad conditioning brush, rinsed (quite at bit, I think I used to much LA A.), spun on rotary them put them velcro side up on a Cobra HD Guzzler.

I've been meaning to buy a rolling pin to squeeze the excess water out of the pads, but I keep forgetting to pick one up.

18. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

That's a great idea!

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I spray my pads with APC, let them soak for 5 minutes and rinse with warm water. Wring them out and set out to dry, velcro side up on a ventilated shelf. APC is the most economical way to clean them I've found. I use Dawn on LSP applicator pads.

20. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i dump it in hot water and CG CWG for ~10 minutes then massage out what i can. Then i leave it in there for about 10 more minutes and massage the rest out. I rinse it under the sink with cold water, and it's been working great for me.