What You Market Is What You Get

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by aowheels, Jan 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aowheels

aowheels DB Pro Supporter

Auto Detailers face many concerns with the increasingly growing number of detailing companies worldwide in today’s market. The tools and products that have become available over the last few years have made it easy for people to consider a career in detailing. It’s way more profitable than it was 5-10 years ago and the marketing value within social media advertisement is there. So what do you mean? What you market is what you get?

Follow The Leader

It’s been an ongoing trend of following the leader over the last few years. New detailing companies are wanting to build instant value to their services that older industry leaders took the time to earn over years of committed hard work. A lot could be to blame from the rise of social media, making it much easier for newer companies to follow the business models of the more experienced. It’s unavoidable in today’s marketplace and is also great because newer self employed companies can learn at an accelerated rate. The problem here still lies with “experience” when it comes to an auto detailing company, the skill set is based off of practice. Practice would be the first component to a newer company followed by the understanding of the customers needs. This isn’t something that could be followed or mimicked in a short period of time. You cannot base your business model or services based off of what someone else has accomplished because you see it as being a profitable way of going about it. Over the years I’ve spoke with other auto detailers looking to provide the caliber of detailing services that others do… I’ve noticed the same principle of thought. They want to stand out, they want to charge more and somewhere in that mindset they want to believe that by adding a Ferrari to the portfolio will better their business. The problem with that is, it causes self inflicted growth problems to the newer companies. You can’t skip over the basics and go straight to pro status because that’s what the best do. Little is it known how much effort goes into committing yourself to the craft & customers in being a good detailer. Social media marketing status is not shared, It’s earned.

READ MORE HERE

brandon_pearce likes this.
  2. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

Brian,

Thanks for posting this, it is very informative and also very true.

3. Dylan@RUPES

Dylan@RUPES Guest

Couldn't agree more with this.

Part of the problem stems from, as mentioned, social media and in turn the access to information that's simply unprecedented. When I started out in this business 18 years ago +/- there wasn't youtube, discussion forums, facebook, and this endless amount of searchable information just a few keystrokes away. I had to study and learn under the tutelage of more experienced guys in my area. I took assistant type jobs to guys who had been at it longer than me and I could learn from. I paid my dues, got my hands dirty, and had some sand kicked in my face by those that knew more than me - the ultimate goal being to better my skills, not my ego.

We're also dealing with a regurgitating culture in our industry. The vast majority of self-proclaimed experts and professionals will simply take info from their online influencers and disseminate it as fact without truthfully investigating it for themselves. This goes for everything from accusations of who private labels for who to product claims and when the info is good it often times goes without providing credit to where that information was found/learned.

There are many things about our industry that are moving in the right direction. I myself and proud to see how some segments are maturing and legitimizing, but at the same time there is a looooong way to go and still many parts of the business that are underdeveloped in terms of business maturity and operator mentality.

4. Good stuff Brian.

Everyone wants to be the big man on campus and the internet is a great way to blow yourself up. Your thoughts on experience are on-point. There is no substitute and what's best for the industry is making sure you're not overselling yourself.

Keep 'em coming.

aowheels likes this.
  5. sergiohawaii

sergiohawaii New Member

Great post Brian. As you said its way too easy to start a detailing career and follow the industry leaders. With much easier access to tools and products everyone can sell themselves as Pros. While buying a polisher and good products can help you turn good results, it does not make one a business owner; one of the biggest challenges of being a detailer, and probably the greatest reason some of those new ventures are short lived.

aowheels likes this.
  6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Fantastic article Brian, thanks for sharing! The new site is really coming together!

aowheels likes this.
  7. aowheels

Thank You all for the positive feed back! I really appreciate it and thank you for taking the time to read it!

8. aowheels

I agree, It's nice to see the tide is calming in many of the areas of the industry and think that is the important factor with moving forward!

The more informative that things become, the better it is for everyone! Growth spurts never stop in the career field of an auto detailer... and for myself... That's one of the reasons I love it!
    Thanks for taking the time in reading!