What would you buy with $2K

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by dadswrld, Aug 21, 2009.

1. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Hey Ladies & Gents,

I'm about to 'Invest' in myself and my business. While I have but a handful of things I don't have the necessary tools & supplies to properly expand my biz.

Now while some wouldn't plunk so much loot at once (especially just starting out), I feel that without the proper tools, I'm spending too much time trying to get to the finish line. Time is money and quality counts as well.

So my ? to all of you (mostly seasoned pros) is, what items do you recommend being a 'must have' and things that are 'nice to have'?

I'm looking to see what machines you would want or need, polishes, accessories and other supplies you deem mandatory. Nice to have can be anything else.

I never used a orbital or rotary before. I would probably have to write a chart for myself on what polishes do what, until I got use to using them and experimenting. I don't think any of this is really hard to do, but making the first step will be crucial.

Kind of brings me back to this....priceless analogy;

This is my situation. I like to have my armour on before I go into the battle. Knowing I have the right tools will allow me to do the best job I can and grow my skills along the way.

So your input will be greatly appreciated.

That's my ':bla2:' for today!

Thanks in advance.

2. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

I dunno if im considered a "seasoned pro" but i recently invested about $1,000+ into my detailing gear and business. I would say to start off get the following things:

-MF towels-go to costco and get like 2 packets of the cheap yellow ones. i got 2 packs of 36 i believe for like $30. Then get these i recently ordered MICROFIBER SUPER TOWEL SILK BANDED PREMIUM 16"x 16"
    -Foam Gun and hose
    -SheepSkin wash mitt
    -A regular wash soap like Megs Gold/Maxi Suds and one to remove wax and sealants, I personally have CG Citrus Wash and Clear
    -2+ buckets with grit guards
    -Large MF Waffle Weave towel for drying as well as an eletric leaf blower to assist in drying.
    -Wheel and tire brushes
    -Degreaser for all areas, I have CG Grime Reaper diluted at 5:1 and i love it. Clean up trunk jambs and well wells like its nothing
    -Clay, Lately ive been using Clay Magic Blue and CG QD as lube
    -Some thing like Megs wheel brightener to clean up wheels
    -Safety Goggles
    - Tire dressing
    -Polisher, I have a PC 7424XP and some Menz compounds and polishes
    -Polishing pads, try to get different sizes. I have 6.5" and 4" LC pads in ever color lol
    -Polish pad primer
    -IPA or ISP to mix with water to wipe of the polish
    -Halogen Lights, mine are 1200 watts dual bulbs
    -ear plugs for polishing
    -Some type of window cleaner and maybe a water repellent like rainx
    -some thing for exterior trim like black wow for black plastic, or CG silk and shine for other colors. also some polish or cleaner for metal like trim and exhausts
    -for the interior id get CG Silk and shine for plastics, 303 aerospace protectant for fabric, poorboys leather stuff for leather (unless u want to get fancy stuff, otherwise this is excellent) CG Fabric Clean for the Carpets and any stain you can find (great stuff) and a must is a wet/dry shop vac for starters.
    -also for interiors you might want a small brush for vents and other small places to get the dust out.
    -Engine Bay, degreaser like Grime Reaper, Some type of dressing for the rubber hoses and black wow again for plastics
    -and last but not least good wax and/or sealant. I have Natty's Red, Dodo juice rainforest rub for all colors, and Blue Velvet for my car. I offer the Dodo Juice as a premium wax for customers at an extra charge usually.

Also try to get some business cards made up and maybe a free website, just to showcase your portfolio.

Well thats just a quick list i made up now and im at work so i need to get back to it lol ill put up a more organized and extensive list later.

3. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

+1 that sounds like a good list. But if you're going to make a name for yourself, I suggest getting some nice wax like SV Onyx or something to keep your customers happy.

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

A good wax is a great idea, but remember a wax only enhances what is under it, so proper surface prep is a must or you will have wasted a bunch of money on a wax that looks like poo bc your skills aren't up to par yet to get the most out of those high dollar waxes...purchase accordingly to your abilities for now..

5. anbuzero

yeh a better wax like SV is probably a good idea for when he gets his name out after a few jobs and customers. Even i havent upgraded to SV for the fact that many customers are unaware of the difference and therefore do not opt to go for the premium wax. For now i think dadswrld should stick to basic supplies for a good price and wait to make $ to then spend it on better supplies. Like i said the things i listed are the things i have and use and ive put a little over $1000 into it as of now. then again i also bought a PTG for about $225 and some other mildly expensive things so really its up to his needs for now.

6. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

I started with a rotary, and I'm glad I did. As long as you check your work with IPA wipedowns, you'll be good.

- Makita 9227C
    - Gloss-it backing plates 5" and 3"
    - Gloss-it Concourso Gloss as an LSP, my current go-to. I know DSMS loves it too.
    - Danase Wet Glaze, and a wax to go over top.
    - Menzerna PO85RD, 106FA, P203S
    - M105/205
    - Uber pads, Black(only need 1-2), Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow. About 3 each 5.5", 2 in the 4" size.
    - LED flashlight to find holograms
    - Canopy if you are working outside.
    - Halogens
    - Extension cord
    - Bissel Little Green Machine

Then most of the stuff on anbuzeros list. Obviously the polishes and Makita replace some things. Keep in mind with a rotary you can do work MUCH faster. I spent about 1.5k getting invested into detailing, and it only took me a couple weeks to make that back and then it was just profit after that.

I just started doing this this summer, and I can tell you it's worth it. I'm getting too much business to handle right now, I actually have to deny work to everyone who calls me. I also got a Maserati GranSport lined up and maybe a Bentley already, and after I do those, hopefully I blow up. Your work will do the advertising for you.

7. Solidsnake

Solidsnake Jedi Nuba

True say.. OR you can use the $2k and get yourself a monkey fur coat! :D

Rare Vintage Genuine monkey Fur cape to Coat Jacket s-M on eBay.ca (item 330290137525 end time 24-Aug-09 16:52:29 EDT)

8. anbuzero

send some of those customers my way :thumb: if they want to make the trip up to Jersey :gidiup:

9. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Haha I'm actually doing both of them in Avalon, NJ. Both were randomn amazing cars I saw, I had business cards and a video of a car I detailed on Youtube loaded up. Wait till the owners came, talked to them real quick, and then bagged one, the other one was a maybe.

10. anbuzero

nice ive been lazy with dropping my business cards on nice cars or stalking the owners lol but im probably going to start up on that soon. Recently I had a guy I know ask me for a bunch of cards so he could give them to his buddy who owns a performance shop. hopefully ill get some business through there. That could also work for the OP.

11. dadswrld

12. dadswrld

Where in Jersey are you? I'm coming down in Sept. Atlantic City to be exact.

13. anbuzero

Thanks for the compliment, and you dont sound like a picky ahole at all. i understand you want to get the right info right away to save you money and time. Honestly i think i would have saved about $100 if i would have researched and gotten the right info of the bat, but hey you learn from your mistakes. I'll also post up a better list of all my materials later so you can get a feel for what you need and might already have. Also look around your house and see what items or substitutes you might already have. i found i already had a shark steamer which is crappy but good enough for steaming interiors, also i had a nice Dirt Devil Scorpion Vac which has amazing suction. Both of these are great temp tools until i make more $ and move onto better things

14. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Dont get caught up with uber waxes. If your on a budget its not something thats a need at all. Customers dont come to you (or keep coming to you) because you use a brand name carnauba... they come to you because of the quality work (95% of which is all prep) you put out.

I have never use more than a $30 bottle of sealant and all my customers are happy.

Buy the necessities and work your way up. Do what ya like

15. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I'll post some more info later as well as I'm working ( supposedly ) right now. One comment I will make is that the two LSPs mentioned ( DODO and GLOSS IT CONCOURSO ) are what I call decorative LSPs. They look good but durability is in the 6 week range for both. Remember, your clients probably won't take tare of the car the way we would so something like Collinite or DG is a better bet. There are some other sealants as well that will give you 4 months easy. Thats my minimum requirement for an LSP the client is paying for.

16. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Thanks for this^^^^^^^^^^I saw it this Morning and felt overwhelmed at having to go thru everything I use :thud:

99.999% of Customers could care less what you use :shakehead:

90% Process, 10% Product^^^^^:chips:

:agree:

17. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

18. anbuzero

i know i promised a full list but i just got home now and its about 3 am just finished watching Inglorious Basterds, which by the way is a great movie, so hopefully ill get some sleep right now and ill post up the list tomorrow

19. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I'll add that at least a PTG for metal surfaces will become very VERY handy if you become serious. I've found that my Highline II is pretty damn accurate. I did a test a little while back, I was impressed. 225 bucks well spent, including shipping.

Karcher 1500psi (foam cannon optional)
    Makita 9227c (perfect it backing plate)
    Range of Polishes
    Range of Pads(with spares)
    Justin's microfibers which are on sale still I believe, so would be cost effective
    Gallon of Zep glass cleaner
    A few things in Meg's pro line... apc's, hyperdressing, wheel brightener
    Steamer

I gotta go to work now but this should give you a headstart.

20. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Jetseal! Or AJT, you'll need a fast curing sealant.