What wetsanding papers are you using?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by kustomizingkid, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

So many different ones out there... who is using what?

What backing/blocking pad/block?

What Grits?

Air or other power units?

There is 3M, Mirka, Meguiars, and a bunch of others...

2. mongrelcat

mongrelcat Any Rag Vehicle Washer

3. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

I've been using mirka and 3M for a good while now. Mirka is my favorite though. I have 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 and 4000 I think....

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have used 3m and Meguiars. For backing plate I have Meguiars one, also one I made from wood and very thin layer of dense foam, and in a pinch you can use some stacked business cards. Have 1500-3000 grit sheets.

Really want to get a "blob" sander for touch up blogs. But cant seem to find any cheap and with proper grit sandpaper.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Oreily's can now get you the blob :D

Only comes with 1500grit disks right now... I just bought mine today, will have it tomorrow :)

Oriely's PN:

MMM 5921 for the 1500 grit disks
    MMM 13441 for the blob

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Hmm may have to stop by and check it out. Wish they had 2000 grit. Wonder if you could get a sheet of stick backed sandpaper and cut them into circles and work it.

Thanks for the PNs.

7. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

8. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

i use 3m and nikken. .1000 to 3000 grit. I do prefer the Nikken papers, as they have a better distribution of evenly sized particles (unigrit).

9. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

For paintwork siawatt 1000-2000gt with 3m pad, mirka abralon 2000/4000 accompany with bosch ROB(powered). Headlight i use Sia abrasive which has a little foam like mirka abralon but has much lower grit then refine with mirka abralon.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

For $35 at your local Oreily's you get the blob and 100 sheets of 1500 grit paper.

[​IMG]

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

where are you guys ordering/buying your sandpaper and sanding blocks/pads from?

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Got some of mine from ADS when I placed a order while back. I just get 3m stuff from parts store. You can make a bock from a hard foam pad cut into the right size, something like maybe a LC yellow brick pad HAHA.

13. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

14. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

3M Trizact via DA / Micro-Mesh by hand.

15. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

hey kustomizingkid,
    what is the size of the 3m sander and the size of the sheets you got?

16. skizot

skizot DB Forum Supporter

Meguairs Unigrit 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000

Amazon.com can sometimes have killer deals.

17. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

The blob is around 1.5" and it comes with disks for that size, 1500 grit, 100 disks...

18. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I have the exact same set as well! Eventually when I get a DA sander and air compressor, I think I'll move on to Mirka or Nikken.

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Nikkens™ 2000, 2500 and 3000 - grit finishing paper , Unigrit Sanding Block and a 3M™ Wetordry™ Rubber Squeegee

Alternative –

a) Four Star Professional Abrasive Enhancing Gel, extends sandpaper life and adds lubrication - non-toxic, use instead of water

b) 3M™ Trizact™ Hookit™ II Clearcoat Sanding Disc - P1500 (PN 02069)- large area wet-sanding, runs damp, long lasting, excellent for texture matching and sanding contours, removes nibs and other defects, leaves a very refined finish

c) Micro-Mesh Regular finishing papers (silicon carbide grit with standard backing) - The standard grade of Micro-Mesh used for the majority of operations on plastics, paints, wood and most metals and polymers. It is used to produce a uniformly smooth surface and bring the surface to a high gloss finish. Available in grades 1500 to 12000 (30 to 2 microns)

d) Unigrit finishing papers -http://bit.ly/6cW2TP