What wash dilution ratio of ONR do you use?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by bobbyt, May 23, 2010.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Virgin Detailer

What wash dilution ratio of ONR do you use?
    I recently took the plunge switching from my usual Gold Class washer to a jug of Optimum no rinse and shine. I'm using 2.5oz to 5gal pale. Do I have the dilution ratio correct?
    When I use it, it's like using water, no little bubbles,, not oily like gold class. It dries faster and left horrendous water marks. This can't be right.

Gold class I can let dry a little as I work my way around the vehicle and can still revive and rinse it clean. ONR seems to dry quickly and want a lot of extra time with detailer spray to remove the left over spots. hmm a lil frustrated. What are other user's experiences like?

2. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

This is how you use ONR, it's not a normal wash shampoo: YouTube - Washing a Cayenne with ONR

BTW that is the only way you wash with ONR, you can't do it with any other soaps. You can do say a couple oz's of gold class and a squirt of ONR if you want to wash normally.

3. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I find that ONR works best for me by washing in sections to avoid it drying on the paint, however if it does I have never found it very hard to remove. Your dilution sounds right, I generally use a bit more than needed just because of the rediculously hard water here but a little more doesn't hurt anything. I used ONR as a regular wash solution yesterday including rinsing it off but I think I prefer just using ONR as a standalone rinseless wash because I ended up with scary water spots.

4. ndrom

ndrom Two Bucket System Washer

I usually mix it stronger--1:128 (1oz/1gal) for a hose-less wash, and 1:16 for a QD/clay lube.

5. calypso

calypso Any Rag Vehicle Washer

We need that excel dilution spreadsheet updated to include ONR.

6. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

ONR is not a regular wash shaampoo, it's a rinseless wash and should be treated as such.

I use 1oz per gallon of water, usually 4oz and about 4 gallons of water.

7. bobbyt

bobbyt Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense. My water spots must have been from my 2nd/rinse bucket treating it like a wash. I'll keep it in my arsenal as a waterless wash.

8. scoTampa

scoTampa Virgin Detailer

Can we clarify something with this? I thought we should use a 2nd bucket to rinse the microfiber we are cleaning with as like this:
    1.Wash section with ONR as in above video
    2. clean off all debris from the washing microfiber in the 2nd bucket
    3. dip the micro back in the ONR and clean the car a section with the ONR as in video.
    4. repeat

Am I correct?

9. Darkstar752

Yes sir, you are absolutely correct. You don't want to be rubbing the dirt you just took off the previous panel into the next one.

10. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

You're one of the first people I've seen say they actually do that.

I just use a grit guard at the bottom of my bucket and make sure to run my wash media (microfiber covered sponge) over it enough to loosen any grit/debris on it.

I'd think 'rinsing' your wash media in another bucket of plain water would work similarly, though over time you might be diluting your ONR bucket too much.

11. Darkstar752

I use a Lowe's Proline Grout sponge so it's really easy to completely release all of the water in it. You do have a good point though, with other wash media I might do something else since it would be putting a lot of water in the wash bucket... Guess it could save me some ONR too.

I'll start experimenting with both ways. Thanks for the different POV :thumb:

12. Mindflux

:) No Prob. Just thought I'd toss that out there. I am ultra picky about how I wash my cars and so far I've had no reason to do anything but the recommended directions. 2 gallons of water with 2 oz of ONR. (2 capfulls)

As I said I just run my wash media over the grit guard and squeeze it a couple times to absorb some 'fresh' ONR mixture. After that I bring it out of the water and give it a light squeeze as to not have the thing totally sopping wet.

Perhaps I'll try your method to compare.

13. metsfan

metsfan Birth of a Detailer

What i do is fill 1 bucket with 4oz/4gallon onr mix then pour almost half in another bucket both with grit guards . I figured if i used water in the second bucket i would be diluting the onr and less lubricity on the paint . I do have a few questions on using it on the car though .I use a microfiber sponge for onr . Should i wash the car with it soaked and dripping like a regular wash or should i like wring it out so its just wet ?

14. Mindflux

I use a MF covered sponge too, I give it a squeeze so it's not sopping wet but I don't wring it out until it's nearly dry. Gotta have something to carry off the dirt.

15. ndrom

2 capfuls is not 2 oz.

1 capful is ~.5oz for the 32oz bottle the gallon jug, and ~.4oz for the 8oz bottles.

I posted a pictorial guide to cap volumes on my blog. I am not allowed to post a link to it, but if you Google: "The Ultimate Guide to Cap Volumes", you will probably find it.

16. Mindflux

Interesting. I remember reading the 32oz cap had a 1oz capacity (closest to the directions you could get) and I remember the gallon cap didn't have an accurate capacity for the directions.

Being that, I'm using the 32oz cap, I guess next time I use ONR I need to double how much I'm adding.

17. ndrom

I was surprised how no caps are actually an ounce--even the SmartWax cap that is labeled an ounce!

If you have been happy with the amount you are using (1:256, the recommended hose-less wash dilution), why change?

18. Mindflux

I'm going to need to check my bottle again. I'm reading conflicting info. From anywhere from 1oz (2 capfuls) to 2oz (4 capfuls) for a hoseless wash.

Depends on who's page you read.

But then again the official directions from optimumcarcare.com are
    So maybe I won't change what I'm doing. :shrug:

19. ndrom

The bottles say 1oz to 2 gallons (1:256) for hose-less wash, 2oz to 1 gal (1:64) for clay lube, and 8oz to a gallon (1:16) for QD.

20. Mindflux

Interesting, 6oz to a gallon for QD according to one of their resellers. I wonder if it changed?