What Vacuum are you Using?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by BrendanS, Nov 24, 2009.

1. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

Well I've definitely been looking around for shopvacs and I've had terrible luck. First off, HomeDepot had a 6 gallon Ridgid with 5.0hp for $49.99, I went and they were all sold out. Then somebody was selling this one on craigslist for $60:
    RIDGID - 60L High-Performance Stainless Wet/Dry Vac - WD1956 - Home Depot Canada
    I missed that too...so I'm still on the hunt. I'm really bummed about the one on craigslist though, it was pretty much brand new from the looks of it too. But yeah, I'm just wondering which shop vacs you guys are using. Pics are always welcomed!

Brendan

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Brendan, the 4050 from Homedepot is around $90 and has 57 inches of lift. Not bad. Its also plastic so it wont rust out on you.

3. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I happen to be in the market for a new shop vac myself, and I looked for the 4050 just now and I can't find it. Are you refering to the WD1450? This is one that I have considered along with the WD1851.

4. BrendanS

How did you find out how much lift it has? I like both the 4050 and 4070. Whichever one is cheaper, I'm not in a rush so I'll see if it goes on sale during boxing day. Do you know how much lift the 4070 has? The reason I was looking at the big stainless steel one was because it was so cheap lol. $60 and it was a month old, to bad its sold though. But I have my eye on the 4070 and 4050 now though
    Here is the 4050
    RIDGID - 4.5 Gallon RIDGID Pro Pack Portable Wet/Dry Vac - WD4522 - Home Depot Canada

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

6. BrendanS

7. rwisejr

I really like it it has really good power. I also bought the auto detaing accessory pak for it which really adds to it

8. BrendanS

good to know, I was thinking about the detailing accessory kit. So the power in the 4050 is more than sufficient? Is there a big difference in power between the two you have?

9. rwisejr

Well the larger one is more powerful but I wouldn't say by a massive amount . Put it like this I could live with just the small one if I had to and be happy.

10. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

11. BrendanS

Hopefully I solved my problem. Although the 4Gallon Ridgid Vac would be ideal for me, I would rather save the money. I have room in the garage for a large vac. I found this:
    Moving/Garage sale- TOOLS- presure washer, table saw, much more
    I'm going there bright and early tomorrow to pick it up. Already contacted the owner. It looks to be this vac:
    RIDGID - RIDGID 53 Litre Professional Series Wet/Dry Vac - WD1450 - Home Depot Canada

So at $40 with a lifetime warranty, I think it's a bargain. I also have a C6 Z06 in the garage right now, I didn't start on the interior yet. So it'd be nice to have this for tomorrow! I'll let you guys know on how I like it. Any tips on cleaning it up?

Brendan

12. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

Client left their car for you overnight? Must be a big detail to have it overnight. Also good luck on the ShopVac Hunting. I am looking forward to your pictures of this beast of a car.

13. BrendanS

thanks man! yeah I've had it since last night. Started this morning...C6 Z06. I'm in love. I never really liked vettes till now

14. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I have the Pro pak as well, it is great if you are moblie and need to maximize space

15. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

After a ton of research, I decided on the Ridgid Pro WD1450. It has 55" of waterlift, 179CFM and every review says its powerful, and quiet. I had to email Ridgid to get the waterlift amount , and I asked them about several of their vacuums, and this one was one of the highest. I'll post a review after I test it out.

16. BrendanS

NICE! Thats the one that in the craigslist ad I believe

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The one I was talking about is listed as the Ridgid 4070

18. BrendanS

So I just finished up my longest detail to date on a C6 Z06. I'll have pictures up tomorrow, I still need to take afters. But anyways I got to use the shopvac on the interior...holy crap so much better than the household vac I was using! I bought the detaiing kit from homedepot and I connected the new hose to the old hose, so I have about 20ft of hoseage? lol. Anyways, it is the Ridgid 1450, great power! Very glad I got this baby. For $40 to! I'll post pics of it later as well.

19. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have a Ridgid and I've had it over 3 years. It's incredibly reliable and has never failed me. One year I even used it to suck up leaves, but I wouldn't recommend that!

Mine is 3.5HP and it's plenty.

20. BrendanS

Didn't take good after shots, just have one of when its cleaned lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bought the detailing kit (sorry its blurry)
    [​IMG]