What Trim Dressing?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by BrendanS, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

I've been using FK108 for the past year on trim, and I can't say I'm to impressed. It's great on engine bays and interiors, but on trims it looks terrible after rain hits it. It leaves the trim all oily looking. I was wondering what trim dressing or protectant you guys recommend. I'm looking to buy it in bulk, I was thinking of the CG Extreme VRP. I'm looking for something that won't look oily when it goes. Doesn't have to be super durable. Just something that will bring back some shine and won't make a mess. Also, it would help if it's cost efficient as well.

Thanks for your input!

2. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. Great looks and UV protection as well.

3. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

I usually use 303,op protectant plus ,cg new trim gel and Malco appel those four have a great result and very low cost just me two :2cents:

4. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

303 will look just as bad as FK108 after the introduction of water on trims. Tires is a different story for water based dressings. Trims simply because of its material makeup will not hold on a TON better to water based dressings.

I know its not recommended for longevity(well maybe things are changing) but mild solvent based dressings are better for moisture repellancy.

Water based aqueous silicones will always run after getting hit with water..

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have been happy with Tropi-Care white pear tire and trim dressing...looks great, nice finish and is pretty durable. Use it on my trim pieces as well as in the engine bay. Gallon is on sale now.

6. BrendanS

thanks! I won't be ordering though, none of the Tropicare products really interest me at the moment and for a gallon of that is $14.00 to ship. So it's about $50USD for the gallon. I might just try CG Extreme VRP

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

VRP is some good stuff as well, forgot you were from BC and that would make shipping a bit more that in the states.

8. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

After testing this year, my fav is Poorboys Trim Restorer. Goes on super easy, lasts and if you wipe excess off after you apply, very little running. I mean almost unnoticeable.

9. richy

richy Guest

303 is good for a natural look, if you want more sheen, I like DG flat black and trim dressing.

10. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

short of black wow, i.ve pretty much given up on durable trim dressings. for quick treatments, i really like either surf city beyond black tire pro, or meg.s hyper dressing full strength.

11. Ch40t1c

Ch40t1c Obsessive Detailer

I've used Meg's HD and Optibond, but the durability isn't great IMO on either.

12. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I have either CG new trim gel, only down fall is if you don't wipe down level it streaks when it gets wet. I def love TC tire and trim dressing. Not too flashy, not too matte, just right look. Lasts pretty well in rain as well.

13. BrendanS

I guess I'm not the only one having problems with running dressing, I haven't buffed it off after applying. I'll try that next time

14. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus or Klasse Cleaner/Protectant (8 oz red bottle about 10 bucks and is really nice..very durable...they quote 2-3 months)

15. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

i'm a fan of meguiar's HD too. swissvax pneu/tropi-care are both good too. I would like something glossier though. Black WOW was a bit greasy for my taste.

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Ultima Trim and Tire Guard Plus outlasts everything else I've tried up to date.

17. memnuts

memnuts Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+1 on the PB trim restorer. I used it on my GF's Escape with the miles of plastic trim on the thing. IIRC it only lasted about 2 months but we had a lot of rain. Like everyone else the durabilty of trim products is kind of lacking.

18. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

Durability lacks because most trim dressings we love are water based.... Youy would need a solvent based dressing

19. Simz

Simz Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have a question

What about black wow. For trim restoring??? does pb trim restor?

20. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I heard black wow is finicky to work with.