What to use for trims?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by distrbd, Apr 18, 2008.

1. distrbd

distrbd New Member

I have white stains(dried up polish /wax) on the black trim and tried everything including peanut butter!!
    what a mess,it goes away but not completely ,I can still see white residue ,very unsightly.
    What I have not tried is Black Wow but I don't think it's meant for this type of stains ,I don't need to restore anything all I want is to bring the black trim back to the way it was.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. RTexasF

RTexasF Birth of a Detailer

3. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I have read in another forum that prepsol will actually take off a bunch or grime and wax when used on trim

4. distrbd

distrbd New Member

Thanks RTexasF for your reply,the wax blaster may just do the trick but you are saying Black Wow is more likely to a better job,:shead:I also think I might have better success with BW,is it like a paint or something?if it is I don't really want to use it on a new car though.
    Any more suggestions?

5. distrbd

distrbd New Member

I didn't know ,hmmmmm.:shead:
    Thanks ,I'll go find out a bit more.

6. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I just had another thought.....Al-53 posted another thread about hi temp products, and they have a silicone remover that would be similar prep before waxing to cleanse the surface of polish oils and such and i wonder if that would work? Black wow i hear is a great product, just dont let it get on your paint because i heard it was a PITA to get off...it would be cheaper alternative too..good luck:shead:

7. Denalio

Denalio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I would be carful with Prepsol. Try Acryl-safe, same category except safe on rubber and plastic trim.

8. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

i tried black wow. it didn't remove wax build-up but just covered it.

9. jake_b

where can you get this Acryl-Safe?

10. jake_b

anybody tried the solvent from meguiars? does this thing work?

11. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

use the wax blaster or wax eraser from DG..or prep sol...use a stiff type brush like a fingernail cleaning brush and scrub it with either products...then do the Black wow....better results and you basicly get the wax stain off with the wax removers or prep sol...the WOW will bring the color back and nourish the plastics with its oils.....

Al

12. joep

joep Welcome to Detailing

Don't listen to AL he hasn't had trim in years ....

13. distrbd

distrbd New Member

LOL ,you know when Al speaks we all listen..:thumb:

Thank you all for you help ,I think Al's answer sums it all up and cost me the most but to tell you the truth for a new car it's worth it.
    A few people mentioned Wax Blaster and since it's just what I need to remove the stains,I'll get that and Black Wow for the reasons AL mentioned.

14. Al-53

Before you order wax blaster..get a small bottle of prep sol...and try the brush and scrub first..you can get a t auto parts place or even wal mart....get the finger nail brush also at wal mart...after you can use the brush to clean build up on foam pads...run it slow and hit with the brush..all clean od build up

Al

15. Al-53

Joe...this is the only trim you ever had...lol.....

YouTube - joe getin his trim

Al

16. distrbd

distrbd New Member

Al I couldn't find Prep sol here in Toronto ,Walmart didn't have it but I found somthing that really worked Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner.

It lifted the stains on the trim (using a tooth brush) very easily,gave the black a very nice new /clean look,I followed it up with 303 and everything is back to black and beautiful.
    I just thought I would share my experience with this product,it's hardly talked about on detailing forums but it's worth having it to clean and condition anything with rubber /hard plastic etc.:mounty:

17. Al-53

I have used MG #40 alot..and it does work..BUT...sometimes it just will cover up the stain and it will reappear in time....but I think it may depend on what product was used to create the stain...

I used #40 on a friends car that had stains from NXT...So I figured the #40 should clean it..well it looked like it did..but a few weeks after the stains bloomed again...But..I got some Meg #66 on trim and used #40 to clean it..and they never came back..

#40 is a very good product to have on hand...also #39 is another great product...its a little more heavy duty than 40....

AL

18. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

After not being able to find a long term or permanent solution to keeping trim black, I made my own
    Made of glass, metal and ultra polymers

I use this by hand or by rotary and 4 inch pad on any trim or spoilers that are unpainted.
    Results are permanent and unmatched by anything.

A really cool trim cleaner/restorer is toughseal step 1. Non abrasive and got incredible cleaning and blackening properties

19. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

black wow for another vote

20. psychojuggalo17

psychojuggalo17 Virgin Detailer

i use dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. motor oil and a rag for tires and trim, cept for door handles obviously, and the rubbery stuff around the windows, i use turtle wax ice liquid polish for that, only useful thing ive found with it lol