What to Tape...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Jedidiah, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

HI there.. i'm a complete novice when it comes to using my PC7424 but with some tips from Phil and the videos in his blog i have been getting a lot better..

I try to look at all the detailing picture write ups /etc.. I have a couple questions if someone can enlighten me i would be very grateful .

1.) Tape. should i go tape crazy or just keep it simple?
    2.) Also i see some picture post that look like there is tape over the gaps in doors / body panels. is this considered standard. For example how on earth would i do a gas cap door cover with out taping the gaps?

Thanks a ton for any feed back.
    -Jedidiah

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The idea is to tape anything that can be marred or potentially damaged by running your polisher into it. You also want to stop any polish from getting on exposed porous plastic pieces asuch as mirror casings, door bump strips etc as its easier to tape them off then clean them off. You don't typically have the same issue with a pc as its not force driven, but it's a good habit to get into. Some guys will tape over gaps in the body panels to prevent any polishing dust from getting in. Just saves having to clean it out later. I personally don't tape gaps but its up to you.

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

Thanks 911.

I have been taping the black plastic stuff. but i can't imagine how much tape some of the professional detailers go through.

time for me to find a friend that works for 3M :)

4. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

That tape is WAY too expensive... I tape anything that can get hurt or is a pita to clean...

5. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

thanks for the replies i just found another thread that talked about the taping of the gaps too.

6. truenosan

truenosan Virgin Detailer

The quality in the 3M tape is well worth the extra money spent on it. The tape sticks a lot better, goes around corners better, and if it ever gets wet, it still comes off with relatively little to no mess at all.

7. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I agree and the green is way better than the blue. I find the blue, although it sticks well, tears way to easy.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Green tape sticks better for me but my new favorite tape is American Automotive Tape, it is beige in color. I feel like it sticks better than 3m green, does not tear, and works all around better. Also a little cheaper if I remember, dont ever buy it as I just ask my dad to bring home some from work when I run out thus I have a few rolls in every size, ha.

3m beige automotive tape also has a higher bond strength than green but still comes off without any residue.

My taping is the normal around textured plastic, soft rubber, and some places were I know polish gets into and takes forever to clean out.

9. jaynick808

jaynick808 Virgin Detailer

i think i have the same tape as agpatel. its beige n looks like masking tape but is not. it performs on the same level as 3m quality tapes but is cheaper and like agpatel said it seems a little easier to work with. :thumb: got mine from pakshak awhile back.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Yes that is the tape that I use, cheaper and the same or little better than the 3m counterpart.