what size pads do you use with your rotary?

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 99monguse, May 3, 2011.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

Getting some new pads for my 9227. All the pad I have now are large 7.5-8" and I was thinking about getting some new ones, just curious what you all use.

2. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

4" & 5.5"

3. SDMDChris

SDMDChris Birth of a Detailer

I use 5.5 on my flex. If you going from 7.5-8 your gonna need a new backplate as weel (just if you didn't know that already lol)

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I only use the 6" and higher on big paneled vehicles, or airplanes.
    For normal sized vehicles, I have been using 5.5" mostly, because for me, they are easier to control, cost less, less mass spinning, and use a lot less product. Yes, it may take me longer because they are smaller in diameter, but I dont think I am losing that much time to use them
    When I run into smaller areas, if I need to correct something, a 4" or even 3" pad works great for that, but these little pads are also invaluable if you are just trying to get a defect out of a panel and dont need to correct anything else around it.

I like to use a good PC with either 4" or 5.5" pads, for front and back ends of vehicles, because they are usually smaller anyway, and the PC is way smaller and easier to use. If I run it at speed=6, it will pretty much give me what I need, and if it doesnt, there is always the Rotary.

Dan F

5. dave_zok

dave_zok DB Forum Supporter

5.5" pads with the 3m perfect-it back plate and 4" pads with the 3.5" back plate. anything larger than 6.5 is just way too big for a normal car.

I only use my 6.5" pads with my flex xc3401 and 5.5" or smaller with my makitta 9227c

6. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

5.5" and 4" gets the job done!

7. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

On my Makita 9227C I use 5.5" Uber and LC Hydrotech/Flats/CCS pads along with 4" Uber pads. My backing plate is 5" 3M Perfect it III which is coming in tomorrow from Phil and I use a 3" Uber rotary/ da backing plate for my 4" ubers.

http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/3m/3MBackingPlate.html

I have 2 yellows, 2 greens, 1 blue

http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/foambuffingpads/UberFoamPadKit5.html

http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/backingplates1/3inchPCRotaryBackingPlate.html

I have 2 yellows and 2 greens

http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/foambuffingpads/UberFoamPadKit4.html

8. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Foam - I like 5.5" pads with the CG fat backing plate, wool - 6.5 -7.5 but I tend to go for smaller if I can for reasons Stokdgs already said.

9. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have been using LC 5.5" pads, both orange and white (@ speed 6 and 5), and the back of the pads have broken after worked on 2 vehicles. The back of the pads were burnt and It seems like the damages are the result of overheating. I am using a PC 7424xp. Does anyone know the reason that caused the damage? I have no problem with using a 4" pad/ 3.5" backing plate

10. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

In my experience the only thing I have seen happen to a smaller pad was it got too saturated, the moisture behind the foam created steam, and it started to cause the velcro on the back of the pad to separate from the foam.

Sounds like you may have an issue with the velcro on the pads and the velcro on your backing plate rubbing to much causing too much heat. Do the pads stick really good to the backing plate? If not, then this might be a place to start looking.
    Good luck with this.
    Dan F

Dan F

11. jason827

jason827 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Thanks Dan for your advice. Yes, I did saw steam coming out from the back of the pads after i took them off last time but i am pretty sure the pads were stick really well with the backing plate. Do you think it is an issue of applying too much pressure? or polishing at too high speed?

12. doayamaha

doayamaha Virgin Detailer

i use 5.5 on my durabraid love the cocentration i can get and its easier to do around tight areas like the high side of the washer squirters.